[News] ASUS Gives Better Hardware for the Same Price with GNU/Linux

ASUS Eee Box Preview & Intel's Atom Benchmarked

,----[ Quote ]
| The same configuration with Windows XP will run you $299, or for the same
| amount of money you can purchase a 160GB/2GB system also with Linux.
| Microsoft won't allow PCs to be sold with > 80GB HDDs preloaded with Windows
| XP and thus the top end configuration is only available with Linux. Given our
| experience with the Eee Box under Vista vs. XP (which we'll get to shortly),
| we think that this is the perfect example of Microsoft dropping the ball and
| easily losing ground to open source solutions here.
`----

http://www.anandtech.com/systems/showdoc.aspx?i=3321

Asus Eee PC 1000 vs Atom-based 901 vs original 701... fight!

http://www.engadget.com/2008/06/03/asus-eee-pc-1000-vs-atom-based-901-vs-original-701-fight/

A Profusion of Minis

,----[ Quote ]
| Maybe it's all a plot to keep Windows XP alive. To prevent a mass defection
| of these products to Linux, Microsoft has said it will continue to make XP
| available after its June 30 retail cutoff date, to these low-cost, low-power
| systems that simply don;t have the horsepower to run the newer operating
| system well.
`----

http://www.businessweek.com/the_thread/techbeat/archives/2008/06/a_profusion_of.html?campaign_id=rss_blog_techbeat

Recent:

Microsoft worried over Linux ULPCs

| An un-named Microsoft official quoted in the original article claims that
| manufacturers currently offering Linux on their low-cost devices “have made
| some good inroads with open-source, and Microsoft wants to put a stop to it.”
`----

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2008/05/12/microsoft-worried-over-linux-ulpcs/1

Feeling the heat at Microsoft

| you who is Microsoft's biggest competitor now, who would it be?

| to go with that.
`----

http://www.news.com/Feeling-the-heat-at-Microsoft/2008-1012_3-6232458.html?tag=ne.fd.mnbc

Asus' little Eee 900 laptop is a big improvement over its predecessor

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/bus/ptech/stories/DN-p2techreview_16bus.ART.State.Edition1.46ae175.html
http://tinyurl.com/5z2nm2