Re: [News] Eee PC (Also with Linux) Expected to Gain Momentum

Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> Asus laptops get ?instant-on Linux?
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | The Splashtop OS, which Asus rebrands as Express Gate, consist of a
> | proprietary real-time ?core engine? called by the notebook?s BIOS, atop
> | which sits a highly customised Linux stack
> `----
>
> http://apcmag.com/Content.aspx?id=2318

I'm not quite satisfied on this one....

Is "splashtop" the BIOS in the laptop or is it a small linux that the BIOS
can call to allow quick readiness to play mp3's and surf the net?

If it's the BIOS (coreboot/linuxbios), then this is a really good thing, as
a user can boot into a full linux in a matter of a few seconds and be
running a full linux install. If splashtop is setup as a quickly loading os
so someone and play and surf the net ONLY... it's really quite hooohummm...

I'm yearning for the day that someone (an OEM) puts coreboot/linuxbios into
a laptop or motherboard... That's the day I do some serious hardware
upgrades! Imagine turning on your laptop and have KDE ready to use  in just
a few seconds... Awesome.

--

Jerry McBride (jmcbride@xxxxxxxxxx)