[News] Criticism of Xandros on Eee PC, Splashtop Dissected

Could the eeePC end up being Microsoft's trojan horse?

,----[ Quote ]
| In the excitement of the moment, everyone seems to have forgotten that
| Xandros is one of the companies that lined up meekly in June 2007 to sign a
| patent deal with Microsoft.
|
| [...]
|
| No, this kind of patent deal works through the fear factor. Once there is a
| sufficient large number of people using the software that is susceptible to
| the FUD factor, the company which has IP in the mix begins a campaign through
| issuing warnings of one kind or the other.
`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/18548/1090/

DeviceVM's proprietary/Linux split explained

,----[ Quote ]
| Covering Asus' adoption of DeviceVM's Splashtop software in all its
| motherboards and some laptops, we were wondering exactly which parts were
| proprietary and which were Linux - hence pulling back from calling it
| a "Linux OS".
`----

http://community.zdnet.co.uk/blog/0,1000000567,10008346o-2000331761b,00.htm

Recent:

Linux is Part of Asus’s Long Term Plan

,----[ Quote ]
| Asus announced three new Linux products.
|
| I would even go so far to say that if Asus keeps up its support of Linux, it
| may be the company that is credited with bringing Linux on the desktop to the
| masses.
`----

http://www.linuxloop.com/news/2008/02/02/linux-is-part-of-asuss-long-term-plan/

Feeling the heat at Microsoft