Re: [News] Vista Shunned by UK CIOs, So Richard 'Microsoft' Steel Blames "Anti-Microsoft"

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Homer
<usenet@xxxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Tue, 03 Jun 2008 00:45:45 +0100
<badeh5-s3l.ln1@xxxxxxxxxx>:
> "Recently analysts have come out in support of Vista ... claiming
> organizations could miss out on important business benefits"

Like being locked into Palladium. ;-)

> What a load of BS. What "business benefits" will an *OS* bring anyone,
> much less a totally dysfunctional OS like Vista?

Well, there is the issue of common protocol/API.
Applications expect Windows, and Windows begets more
applications as it's the majority solution.

I'm hoping that changes as more people wake up to the
fact that standard solutions work better for everyone,
but one does wonder.

Of course, I'm not all that up on what a "business app"
is anyway; COBOL was touted in its day as the common
business language, for example, and a lot of applications
could probably be done using Tcl/Tk or Python.

What's so special about Windows for business?  At best,
it's a platform for launching documents [*] and spreadsheets.
At worst, it gets in the way with such issues as DRM.

There is one advantage to Microsoft Word, though.
Word documents are self-contained; an HTML page with
graphs and such would have to be shoved at the user
using multipart/related -- a more complicated task.
(Or one uses an archive file and unzips it manually.)

Can't beat Word files for convenience -- especially if it
has an infectious virus...

> It's an operating
> system for Christ's sake, it's supposed to sit invisibly in the
> background and just work. If it doesn't work then it brings chaos and
> financial loss.

And bad press...but you know what they say about bad press... ;-)

> Since when is "software working" singled out as a
> "benefit"? Surely that's supposed to be a given.

Aye.

> As for these "analysts" ... yeah they just popped up out
> of nowhere, for no particular reason, and started singing
> the praises of a completely broken operating system.
> I wonder why?
>
> LOL!
>
> Why don't these "analysts" rebrand their biznizes® as paid advertisers?
> That's what they really are, after all.

All interesting questions.

[*] FSVO, given the propensity of Websites to throw in
oodles of interactive Javascript, movies, and such.

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Linux.  Because it's not the desktop that's
important, it's the ability to DO something
with it.