Re: The Cost of Trolling

____/ Jerry McBride on Monday 02 June 2008 02:14 : \____

> bbgruff wrote:
>
>> colastats wrote:
>>
>>> 1: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>................... :
>>> 301
>>> 2: "Moshe, Goldfarb." <brickn.stravv@xxxxxxxxx>................... :
>>> 254
>>> 3: Rick <none@xxxxxxxxxx>......................................... :
>>> 117
>>> 4: "DFS" <nospam@xxxxxxxx>........................................ :
>>> 100
>>> 5: Hadron <hadronquark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>............................ :
>>> 76
>>
>> It is possible that these figures are wrong.
>> If so, and if you have better (more accurate) figures, feel free to
>> substitute them in what follows.
>> I am merely taking the above nubers as "number of posts to c.o.l.a. over
>> the past week", and trying to put a monetary value to the effort involved
>> in making those posts.
>>
>> 1. Roy.  We know from well-informed posts in this group that Roy is a
>> student, lives in his parent's basement, is un-employable, etc., so we can
>> eliminate
>> him right away.  (source:  cola trolls)
>>
>> 2. The interesting ones are those in 2nd, 4th and 5th places.
>> These (we know, because they tell us so) are all very learned,
>> professional people, very highly paid, and certainly can't afford the time
>> to mess about with Linux - because time is money, etc.
>>
>> 3. First, we need to estimate the time that they spend reading cola, and
>> responding to posts over a period of one week:-
>>
>>  - collectively, they made 430 posts.
>>
>>  - to make those posts, they probably read most of the total of (2023-430)
>>    other posts, say 1,800, PLUS the posts (for each) made by the other
>>    two.
>>
>>  - collectively then, they read (say) 6,000 posts, and wrote 430.
>>
>>  - at say 10 to 20 seconds average to read a post, that's 17 to 33
>>  man-hours
>>     spent reading.
>>
>>  - to write each post, say 1 to 2 mins?  (Bear in mind the care needed
>>    to select the correct account/server etc. to preserve anonimity)
>>     That's another 7.2 to 14.3 man-hours.
>>
>>  - so total is at least 24.2 to 47.3 man-hours over the week,
>>
>>  - Costing those man-hours, I can't imagine that such esteemed people work
>>  for
>> less than the U.K. legal minimum wage, which translates to 11 USD per
>> hour. In fact, I get the impression that their time is *far* more valuable
>> than
>> thet - perhaps 100 USD per hour?  More?
>>
>> That gives us a total U.S. dollar cost this past week of between 290 and
>> (more likely?) 4,730 u.S. dollars for the week!
>>
>> At that rate, over a year, it comes out at between 15,080 (at
>> burger-flipper rates) to 245,960 U.S. dollars!
>>
>> Sheesh!  I guess somebody out there really hates Linux - or perhaps for
>> some reason is a bit nervous of it!
>
> It's easy enough to understand. They tote the party line and getting paid on
> top of it too. Windows shills... are windows shills... They had them back
> in the drdos days, os/2 days and now they are working against linux.
>
> Nothing new.

Look for the Jim Zemlin article from BusinessWeek. The headline was "The
Economics of FUD", IIRC. The theory was that for Microsoft to save its cash
cows, patent terrorism was just really cheap. They look at everything as RoI.

- --
                ~~ Best of wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      | "My signature is never intended to be offensive"
Cpu(s): 24.2%us,  3.6%sy,  1.0%ni, 66.7%id,  4.1%wa,  0.3%hi,  0.1%si,  0.0%st