[News] GNU/Linux Multi-Linguals: The Polyglot Advantage

UBUNTU Studio Revisited

,----[ Quote ]
| As a side note, there is another advantage of Linux desktops, that I have
| noticed. If you install multiple languages on the PC, then you can boot in
| which ever language you want. This is nice for me, because I sometimes have
| people that need to use my PC that only speak Spanish. In that case I can
| sign out and sign back in with the language changed to Spanish and all
| applications and all menus are now in Spanish. Each user of the PC can have
| their sign on to use whatever language they want. How neat is that!
|
| This would actually be a good thing for schools here in Panama that want the
| students to learn better English. The PC could be brought up in whichever
| language is most appropriate. You can’t do that with a Windows PC. I don’t
| know if a Apple PC allows a multiple languages option or not.
|
| This would be a good display option for PC stores in Panama that wanted to
| demonstrate Linux in both languages. It might even open up a new market for
| them.
`----

http://www.chiriquichatter.net/blog/2008/05/31/ubuntu-studio-revisited/

In KDE, for quite some time in fact, it has been possible to work with
different languages in different applications at the same time.

Related:

OSS apps keep up to date in SA's 11 languages

,----[ Quote ]
| In celebration of International Mother Tongue Language Day on
| February 21 Translate.org.za has relaunched updated versions
| of all their mother tongue software in all 11 of South
| Africa's languages.
`----

http://www.tectonic.co.za/view.php?src=rss&id=1375

New Linux version supports 10 Indian languages

,----[ Quote ]
| Mr Nandu Pradhan, Red Hat India's President and Managing Director,
| explained that Release 5 had doubled the Indian language support to
| 10 languages - a case of fortuitous timing in the light of the
| government's budget-day announcement of sharply increasing monetary
| support for e-governance initiatives at the Centre and the States.
`----

http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/2007/03/16/stories/2007031603980400.htm

Firefox 2 speaks Afrikaans

,----[ Quote ]