[News] GNU/Linux Laptops Everywhere, Benefit from Slowing Economy, Cheaper Than Windows

  • Subject: [News] GNU/Linux Laptops Everywhere, Benefit from Slowing Economy, Cheaper Than Windows
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 01 Jun 2008 16:44:17 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Is this the cheapest Linux laptop on the planet?

,----[ Quote ]
| As for the Elonex One itself, it comes with a 300MHz LNX Code 8 Mobile
| processor, and a Debian-based distribution. Add to that 128MB RAM, 1GB Flash
| and a detachable screen and there is no denying that you get a lot of Linux
| laptop for not very much money at all.

Small PCs big news as economy slows

,----[ Quote ]
| Asustek Computer, which makes the runaway success Eee PC, will display new,
| wider-screen models that allow users to do everything from storing video
| clips in shock-proof flash memory and surfing the Web in coffee shops.
|
| Acer Inc, Taiwan's most famous PC brand, will also test the water by
| introducing similar low-cost PCs as it expand into fast-growing emerging
| markets, including China and India.
`----

http://www.reuters.com/article/technologyNews/idUSSP28789420080601?feedType=RSS&feedName=technologyNews&pageNumber=2&virtualBrandChannel=0

Intel’s new UMPC, the Classmate, takes on the XO

,----[ Quote ]
| Prices will vary accordingly, so the best I can do here is provide a ballpark
| unit price: Expect Classmates equipped with a Linux-based OS to cost
| somewhere around $399 and Windows machines to cost about $469.
`----

http://www.schoollibraryjournal.com/article/CA6565691.html?industryid=47078

Ubiquitous Linux, or, how to become a household commodity

,----[ Quote ]
| Whether it was to your taste or not, there’s no denying the ASUS Eee Linux
| subnotebook was a massive sales success. Demand far exceeded initial
| production so it’s not surprising competitor models are on their way. And
| here’s why the hardware manufacturers are going to bring Linux to the masses
| far in advance of any amount of Ubuntu fanboyism.
`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/18520/1141/

Bill&Steve: "Dump, dump, dump! Schnell, schnell. Gotta stop 'cancer' before it
spreads."

Recent:

Microsoft worried over Linux ULPCs

`----