Re: [News] 20,000 IBM Asked to Dump Microsoft Office

____/ Jerry McBride on Friday 20 June 2008 02:19 : \____

http://www.heise-online.co.uk/open/IBM-starts-to-turn-away-from-Microsoft-Office--/news/110943

http://computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&taxonomyName=hardware&articleId=9058900&taxonomyId=12&intsrc=kc_top

> I'm surprised it's not more. Just about everywhere I go now-a-days I see
> Open Office for those that need a full suite and ABIWord or similar for
> those doing simple documents... The days of mega-buck software is just
> about over... The only way Microsoft could save it's Office software would
> be to Open Source it... But then again they are so anal... it'll never
> happen.

The source code would do nothing to help it. It's the excessive margins
Microsoft will /have/ to give up. Documents and spreadsheets are coming a
commodity.

"The collaborative, massively distributed development process behind the
Internet and Open Source projects is not your enemy. It is your friend, the
source of basic research that you can turn into your next generation of
products."
                --Tim O’Reilly