Re: [News] [Rival] Windows Applications in an Ugly State

____/ The Ghost In The Machine on Thursday 19 June 2008 23:27 : \____

http://www.osweekly.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2800&Itemid=449
>> http://tinyurl.com/6xvlb7
>>

>> Days ago:
>>
>> Vista's big problem: 92 percent of developers ignoring it
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Such appreciation for history is not likely to warm the cockles of
>> | Microsoft's heart, especially when Linux is getting lots of love from
>> | developers (13 percent writing apps for it this year and 15.5 percent in
>> | 2009).
>> `----
>>
>> http://news.cnet.com/8301-13505_3-9969231-16.html
>
> OK, my pedantic side wants to get ugly here.  Who really
> writes for Linux?  At best, maybe a glibc developer or
> two who puts new POSIX calls into libc.so.  Most of the
> rest of us develop on a higher layer.
>
> To be fair, Linux implements POSIX extremely well, and
> properly-written apps have the big advantage that they can
> be ported to Linux/64, Solaris, HP/UX, or even Windows
> (maybe with X).
>
> The issues with Windows are similar but different (as
> Windows refers to the entire enchilada, not just the
> kernel).  At best, developers write to an SDK; that SDK may
> be implemented in XP or Vista.  At worst, they disassemble
> certain files and try to guess what they need -- though
> for production quality apps that's hopefully rare.
>
> I'll admit to wondering if Vista has anything really special
> development wise.  The only thing that looks even remotely
> interesting is PowerShell, and that looks like an interesting
> but otherwise not horribly tasty hack.

Some developers needed to entertain DRM and other antifeatures/restrictions.

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Real E-mail -> Harvest -> Fraud -> Spammers profit
 00:20:04 up 65 days, 22:32,  6 users,  load average: 1.03, 0.89, 1.51