[News] Free Software Taught at Universities

Lessons learned from NCSU FOSS class

,----[ Quote ]
| Free and open source software (FOSS) is only beginning to find a foothold in
| computer science departments in North America. FOSS tools may be used in
| teaching or be the subject of research or special committees, but few
| departments include courses that introduce students to the FOSS community. As
| a result, when North Carolina State University created a FOSS graduate course
| in the 2008 spring semester, it turned to Red Hat to find an instructor with
| a suitable background of FOSS involvement and university teaching experience.
| Community manager Greg DeKoenigsberg recommended performance tools engineer
| Will Cohen, who now looks back at the experience with an eye to how what he
| and his students learned might help other instructors.
`----

http://www.linux.com/feature/138338

Recent:

Chennai firm to sign pact with Anna University

,----[ Quote ]
| Chennai-based software training and consulting company, NACE Solutions, is
| set to sign an agreement with the Anna University's AU-KBC research centre to
| offer a joint certification programme in its flagship course – LAMP (Linux -
| Apache - MySQL - PHP).
`----

http://www.business-standard.com/common/news_article.php?leftnm=8&subLeft=1&chklogin=N&autono=322409&tab=r

MIT students demonstrate their Android applications

,----[ Quote ]
| This just in; kids that go to MIT are really F-ing smart. I just saw seven
| Android applications that have been developed over the short span of four
| months — with very little (if any) money — as part of a class
| called “Building Mobile Applications with Android”. It was a lot like most
| college presentations, except that HTC, Google, Verizon, Sprint, and the
| press don’t usually show up.
|
| Hit the jump for a peek at the applications.
`----

http://www.crunchgear.com/2008/05/09/mit-students-demonstrate-their-android-applications/

Related:

Peru: Software Libre

,----[ Quote ]
| The software industry's pressure on the Government to crack down on piracy,
| unlike that from the movie industry, is likely to cause them far deeper
| losses as customers are forced to discover free alternatives.
|
| News of universities in Peru taking advantage of these free, “open source”
| alternatives might mean this change is already on the way, potentially saving
| the Peruvian economy hundreds of millions of dollars a year. Thousands of
| graduates highly-trained in open source technologies might lead to Peru's
| institutions rejecting hard-sold and expensive lock-in agreements with
| companies such as Microsoft when the same software, often of equal or greater
| quality, is available for free.
|
| El Comercio reports that universities in Abancay, Arequipa, Ayacucho, Cerro
| de Pasco, Chiclayo, Huancayo, Lima, Piura, Puno, Tacna and Trujillo, are now
| giving classes and workshops in open source alternatives.
`----

http://www.livinginperu.com/news/6270

Harvard starts teaching open source

,----[ Quote ]
| As with all Harvard case studies, there is no resolution to the dilemma -
| just the open question (pun intended): To open source or not to open source?
|
| Not open sourcing, as the case study implies, is a losing game. There is
| simply too much interest in open communities created to develop software in
| the image of those communities, and not in any single vendor's image.
`----

http://www.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9916323-16.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=TheOpenRoad

The Secret of Open-Source Project Success

,----[ Quote ]
| What's the secret of success for open-source software projects? The same as
| other teams: trust, cooperation and a broad network of external contacts.
| Those are the main findings contained in an important new working paper by
| researchers at the University of Washington and the University of Texas at
| Dallas. The paper is entitled "Network Effects: The Influence of Structural
| Social Capital on Open Source Project Success."
`----

http://blogs.cioinsight.com/research_central/content001/open_source/the_secret_of_open_source_project_success.html
http://tinyurl.com/66uz4x

The Class of 2.0 -- IBM Teams With Universities on 21st Century Skills

,----[ Quote ]
| IBM's latest efforts expand on its university programs -- emphasizing both IT
| and business skills to meet the needs of a competitive, global workforce at
| over 2400 universities world-wide for over 2 million students. These
| initiatives include a series of mainframe programming skills for Linux taught
| at the University of Arkansas to a program designed for the University of
| Arizona to help students build, run and manage blogs, wikis and mashups.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/iw/080214/0361834.html

IBM Linux education programme

,----[ Quote ]
| One of the ICT education initiatives is the Linux Education
| Programme, through which 60 persons who already work in the
| ICT industry ambit will certify themselves as Linux Entry
| Level Administrators.
`----

http://www.independent.com.mt/news.asp?newsitemid=48291

IBM, schools pursue open-source research

,----[ Quote ]
| The program calls for researchers at IBM and the universities
| to work together on software projects in such fields as privacy
| and security, then release the results as open-source programming
| code that anyone can use or alter.
`----

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/2006-12-14-ibm-universities-research_x.htm?csp=34

New IT course at seven institutions

,----[ Quote ]
| Novell Inc has signed a memorandum of understanding with seven
| universities and institutes of higher learning to offer Open Source
| and Linux training as part of their information technology curriculum.
|
| The institutions that signed up for the programme are INTI International
| University College and INTI College Subang , Kolej Tunku Abdul Rahman
| College, Multimedia University , i-Systems College Kuching, Centre for IT
| Advancement ? International Islamic University Malaysia, Universiti Kuala
| Lumpur and German Malaysian Institute.
`----

http://thestar.com.my/education/story.asp?file=/2007/5/13/education/17595160

IBM Linux education programme launched

,----[ Quote ]
| Between March and July some 60 IT employees within the private
| and public sector will follow a training programme organised by
| the Ministry for Investment, Industry and IT (MIIIT) in
| conjunction with IBM which is sponsoring the training.
`----

http://technology.timesofmalta.com/article.php?id=2645

University of Regina offers open source course

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/02012007/3/canada-u-r-offers-open-source-course.html