[News] [SOT] Associated Press (RIP) Officially Isolates Itself from the Internet

  • Subject: [News] [SOT] Associated Press (RIP) Officially Isolates Itself from the Internet
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2008 05:48:59 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

The Cost of Excerpting the AP

,----[ Quote ]
| It's priced by the word, and using a 5- to 25-word excerpt costs $12.50 with
| a 251-word or longer excerpt costing a ridiculous $100.
|
| This ordeal reminds me a lot of the fight against piracy. No matter how much
| the AP tries, it will never be able to curtail the entire blogosphere, just
| as the RIAA will never be able to completely eliminate piracy. The big
| question remains: Will the AP's reputation begin to resemble that of the
| RIAA?
`----

http://blogs.pcworld.com/staffblog/archives/007122.html

Associated Press expects you to pay to license 5-word quotations (and reserves
the right to terminate your license)

,----[ Quote ]
| In the name of "defin[ing] clear standards as to how much of its articles and
| broadcasts bloggers and Web sites can excerpt" the Associated Press is now
| selling "quotation licenses" that allow bloggers, journallers, and people who
| forward quotations from articles to co-workers to quote their articles. The
| licenses start at $12.50 for quotations of 5-25 words. The licensing system
| exhorts you to snitch on people who publish without paying the blood-money,
| offering up to $1 million in reward money (they also think that "fair use" --
| the right to copy without permission -- means "Contact the owner of the work
| to be sure you are covered under fair use.").
`----

http://www.boingboing.net/2008/06/17/associated-press-exp.html

PJ: "Since I expect now this is part of a larger plan to destroy fair use, I
guess Groklaw's new policy, which I hope others will adopt (I know some
already have), is we will never use any AP material or let you know about
anything they write. That's a whole lot of eyeballs they just lost, and if
this report is accurate, they deserve it."

DMCA and Canada comic:

http://ars.userfriendly.org/cartoons/?id=20080616

Related:

Overly-broad copyright law has made USA a "nation of infringers"

,----[ Quote ]
| Tehranian's paper points out just how pervasive copyright has become in our
| lives. Simply checking one's e-mail and including the full text in response
| could be a violation of copyright.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20071119-overly-broad-copyright-law-has-made-us-a-nation-of-infringers.html

Grandmother targets RIAA ‘investigators’

,----[ Quote ]
| Taking a page out of Tanya Andersen’s book, Hurricane Rita survivor
| Rhonda Crain is also targeting the RIAA practice of using
| unlicensed ‘investigators’ in its bizarre sue ‘em all marketing
| campaign.
`----

http://www.p2pnet.net/story/12674

An Oregon Woman's Lawsuit against the RIAA, Alleging Racketeering and Malicious
Prosecution

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://writ.news.findlaw.com/ramasastry/20070628.html