Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Applies for "New World Order"-esque Patent

Homer <usenet@xxxxxxxxxx> espoused:

>> | Microsoft's brainwave is called Device Manners Policy (DMP) and it
>> | could ensure that if a sign says "No photography allowe", then your
>> | camera or your phone's camera won't work. DMP could also be used to
>> | block phones from receiving incoming calls during a meeting.
>> `----
>
> I can see the criminals having a field day with that:
>
> Wife:    Honey, I think someone is trying to break into the house.
> Husband: Call the police. I'll go downstairs. [picks up baseball bat]
> Wife:    The phone's asking for a PIN number?!?!
> Husband: Turn on the CCTV monitor to see what's happening.
> Wife:    It says "Restricted content. Please obtain a license".
>
> I bet the prophet Muhammed Gates dreamt up /that/ "brilliant" idea.
> Certainly the /name/ sounds stupid enough to be one of his.

This sums up the whole philosophy gap between Microsoft and Web 2.0:

Microsoft:  Stop people doing what they want to, put 3rd parties in
charge

Web 2.0:  Encourage people to wrap services into any mashup which suits
their own purposes - allow them to be in charge.

--
| mark at ellandroad dot demon dot co dot uk                           |
| Open platforms prevent vendor lock-in.  Own your Own services!       |