[News] AMD Processor Plays Nice with Free Software

AMD teraflop processor is all about open-source

,----[ Quote ]
| The Stream SDK’s Brook+ front-end is available as open source code.
`----

http://www.electronicsweekly.com/Articles/2008/06/16/43935/amd-teraflop-processor-is-all-about-open-source.htm
http://tinyurl.com/68qs26

Recent:

AMD Releases Stream SDK For Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| NVIDIA's competition for Stream computing is CUDA, which is the Compute
| Unified Device Architecture, or CUDA for short. CUDA has been supported on
| Linux now for some time and NVIDIA is in the process of bringing PhysX to
| CUDA, for physics acceleration thanks to their acquisition of AGEIA. Intel's
| competition is Ct, or C for Throughput Computing.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=amd_stream_released&num=1

AMD Stream SDK Coming To Linux Soon

,----[ Quote ]
| NVIDIA has long supported their CUDA (Compute Unified Device Architecture)
| technology on Linux for allowing general-purpose code algorithms to be
| executed on the graphics processor, while AMD and their Stream Computing
| support has been absent on Linux. AMD has only been supporting their Stream
| SDK on Windows XP, but this morning we have confirmation that the Software
| Development Kit will be released for Linux in the coming days.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NjQ2Mw

Related:

Chips and Motherboards that support a Free BIOS - LinuxBIOS

,----[ Quote ]
| You can help our campaign by buying AMD CPU chips and not buying Intel. AMD
| have been helpful but Intel needs to be persuaded. Likewise, buy motherboards
| that support free BIOS. Tyan Computer Corporation are very helpful to the
| LinuxBIOS project and employ a full-time LinuxBIOS developer.
`----

http://www.fsf.org/campaigns/supportlinuxbios.html

Could AMD move open desktop Linux market?

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=1427