[News] More Women Embrace Dekstop Linux

The Coming of the Nerdettes and Linux's Big Chance

,----[ Quote ]
| Ultimately, "Linux has to keep on doing what it's been doing, continue to
| improve on an excellent base, attract commercial development for products
| consumers can't live without, and cultivate followers outside the geek
| community," yagu concluded.
|
| "Eventually Microsoft as an OS will become irrelevant when the Internet blurs
| the lines between OS, applications, browsers, and services enough that the OS
| is almost superfluous," he said. "When this is true, Linux/Unix-like
| characteristics (reliability, cost, etc.) will emerge as true competitive
| traits and bring Linux closer to the main stage as an OS of choice."
`----

http://www.technewsworld.com/story/63409.html

Windows, Linux, thoughts

,----[ Quote ]
| For the moment, I enjoy just being a dumb user that just wants something that
| works. And Linux distros are currently good at that, even if I think they're
| still too focused on what in new instead of what is bug-free. But overall,
| these last 5 years have been a much funnier experience using Free Software.
| Software that you use, and make you feel that there's real people behind it.
| And that they care about you. The biggest difference I see between these two
| worlds now is that in the Windows/proprietary world, by default, you can't
| trust that new software you haven't heard about before. In the Linux/Free
| Software world, by default, you trust it, because having the source, even if
| you don't read it, is a mark of trust. Hope this will never change.
`----

http://blog.freeside.fr/post/2008/06/16/Windows-Linux-thoughts

Related:

Linuxchix New Zealand set up

,----[ Quote ]
| Women who like Linux now have a community organisation in New
| Zealand to support them: LinuxChix NZ.

Linuxchix Australia Expands

,----[ Quote ]