[News] New and Linux-dominated Breed of Computers

Mid-year mini-laptops under scrutiny

,----[ Quote ]
| A new breed of extremely small and light (just under one lkilo) laptop has
| emerged just in time for winter travel. Called mobile Internet devices
| (MIDs), and also known as mini-laptops, mini-notebooks, or mini-notes, these
| lightweight laptops are practically naked, stripped of all extraneous
| features. And starting at around US$400, they're far cheaper than other
| mobile PCs.
`----

http://reseller.co.nz/reseller.nsf/review/F22B3F53C859DAAACC25746A000A33B0

Off Topic: I got an Asus EEE 701

,----[ Quote ]
| To cut a long story short, I found a nice opportunity to get a second-hand
| EEE 701 and I am having great fun installing and using it. I went for the
| Debian derivative and installed most of the system I tested on my (reduced
| screen) laptop: XFCE4, Gimp, Ristretto, Abiword, Gnumeric, Conky etc. I
| picked the Clearlooks Compact GTK theme, Prelude 4 for xfwm4. I installed
| Brightside (active screen corners) as well as the Hide Menu and Page Zoom
| Firefox extentions.
`----

http://jcornuz.wordpress.com/2008/06/15/off-topic-i-got-an-asus-eee-701/

Days ago:

Linux top OS in MIDs

,----[ Quote ]
| Linux will be a top OS in MIDs (mobile Internet devices), suggests a report
| from Forward Concepts. The report, aimed at quantifying MID-related
| opportunities for chip makers, identifies TI and Qualcomm as well-positioned
| in an emergent market expected to reach 40 million unit shipments globally
| within four years.

Weeks ago:

Otellini: 'MID revolution will be centred round Linux'

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.pcretailmag.com/news/29939/Otellini-MID-revolution-will-be-centred-round-Linux