[News] Nokia Does Mild 'Damage Control' After Remarks About DRM, Intellectual Monopolies

  • Subject: [News] Nokia Does Mild 'Damage Control' After Remarks About DRM, Intellectual Monopolies
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2008 16:56:45 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Some learning to do?

,----[ Quote ]
| Companies like Nokia need to learn the open source way of working. This means
| not only fulfilling the letter of GPL, LGPL etc. but also the spirit. In my
| mind this means integrating the corporate work with the open source
| community, participating, contributing back the code, building the code in
| open projects and not only releasing it when mandatory, not forking, etc.
`----

http://jaaksi.blogspot.com/2008/06/some-learning-to-do.html

Can we advance open source by sacrificing software freedom?

,----[ Quote ]
| Another point that is missing from this debate is the part that is played by
| end users. Regardless of how Nokia and open source software developers view
| restrictive business practices, it is pressure from the consumer that will
| eventually make such practices untenable. Regular users are increasingly
| fighting back as they become aware of the hidden costs built into locks and
| DRM. These mechanisms are easily circumventable, and they cease to stay
| relevant when they are repeatedly cracked.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20080615-advancing-oss-adoption-by-sacrificing-software-freedom.html

Recent:

Nokia does not get it

,----[ Quote ]
| You better start playing by the rules because else the other companies might
| do it faster than Nokia and you will lose the opportunity. Oh: And just as a
| remind: when you go open source, you *must* play by the rules by honoring the
| license of the software.
|
| Really, it’s sad to listen to things like this from someone controlling the
| company who owns Trolltech  I am sure that the vice-president of companies
| like Red Hat wouldn’t say nonsense like the above. But it’s no surprise
| coming from someone in a company that seems to be absolutely in favor of
| software patents in Europe according to FFII.
`----

http://edulix.wordpress.com/2008/06/14/nokia-does-not-get-it/

Oh please, educate me, Nokia.

,----[ Quote ]
| Nokia: “We want to educate open-source developers."
|
| Oh please, educate me, Nokia. Actually, never-mind. Kiss my ass instead. BTW,
| I call it free software, not "open source".
|
| Nokia: "There are certain business rules [developers] need to obey, such as
| DRM, IPR [intellectual property rights], SIM locks and subsidised business
| models.”
|
| You think I need obey? I prefer civil disobedience. DRM? Why would I obey
| your plan to steal my freedom? "Intellectual property"? What's that? There is
| Copyright law and Patent law but to my knowledge, there is no "intellectual
| property" law.
|
| It's a good idea to Boycott Nokia. They have an exceedingly imperious and
| arrogant attitude. Didn't they just buy Trolltech? Whichever pinhead from
| Nokia wrote this garbage just did a disservice to Trolltech. It makes
| Trolltech look like obedient "open source" developers who are in the process
| of being re-educated by Nokia.
`----

http://www.fsdaily.com/Community/Nokia_does_not_get_it#comment-3323

Ari Jaaksi of Nokia Wants to Educate the Linux Community

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://technocrat.net/d/2008/6/11/43198