[News] List of Inspiring Free Software Forces

Free software heroes: from Stallman to Google, a list of inspiring individuals
who made everything possible

,----[ Quote ]
| Richard Stallman.. With rms, I don’t even know where to start.
|
| [...]
|
| What would the world be like if those individuals had taken a plumbing career
| instead? You can argue that if they hadn’t done it, well, somebody else may
| have. That word “may” is the problem here. (This also brings the more the
| more theoretical problem of the “near-miss list”: the list of people who did
| take a plumbing career instead of helping the world, but that’s a different
| story…)
|
| Without Pamela Jones, many (including me) believe that the SCO case against
| Linux could have taken a much nastier turn. Without Stallman, the free
| software movement wouldn’t be nearly as organised and strong. Without
| Shuttleworth, a proprietary GNU/Linux distribution could have become the
| market leader (it was already happening, slowly, with Linspire). Without
| Larry Page and Sergey Brin there would be no Google. No Summer of Code. No
| Android. No OpenSocial—and the list goes on and on. Without Bob Young and
| Matthew Szulik, there might be no clear leader in the GNU/Linux server
| market, or—worse — Red Hat might have given in to Microsoft’s pressure to
| enter a disastrous patent deal.
`----

http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/columns/free_software_heroes_stallman_google_list_inspiring_individuals_who_made_everything_

Google helps a lot with Microsoft's slide.

Related:

Microsoft profit on slide

,----[ Quote ]
| Some analysts are looking for any signs of improvement from
| Microsoft's internet division, which continues to lose market
| share in web search to Google.
|
| Microsoft's online services group saw revenue fall for the last
| four quarters and posted a loss in the past three quarters while
| it shifted to a new internet advertising platform and overhauled
| the company's web properties.
`----

http://australianit.news.com.au/articles/0,7204,21109542%5E15306%5E%5Enbv%5E,00.html

Microsoft Office Online falls into Halloween time vortex

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/03/10/microsoft_office_halloween/