[News] Niche Market Opportunity in Linux Desktop

Missed Opportunities.

,----[ Quote ]
| However, if i was working at palm, i would activly promote the fact my phone
| was Linux/Ubuntu compatible. I would be putting an Ubuntu Compatible logo on
| the box, and speaking directly with Canonical, working with the gnome-pilot
| guys, slipping them some funding..
|
| Linux as i said, is having a take up, it is being used more and more, and
| there are many companies out there, whoc oculd benifit from this. for a small
| amount of finance. Logitech, nvidia, Palm, HP Deskjets all wok out of the box
| in Ubuntu with very little effort. if Linux users see this logo on the box,
| they WILL buy the product. the manufacturers have to do very little work,
| other than pass some cash to teams of developers and i'm sure were are not
| talking 5 figures here.. and everyone wins.
`----

http://www.tuxmachines.org/node/27727

Recent:

Palm readies next-gen ‘Web 2.0’ OS

,----[ Quote ]
| So let’s talk about the future – and specifically the forthcoming all-new
| Palm OS, which is codenamed Nova and said to be built around Linux. Colligan
| calls it “Palm OS” and later “Palm 2.0”, both times his fingers drawing
| quotation marks in the air as he speaks. Palm 2.0, as in Web 2.0, although he
| makes it clear that “I’m not coming up with the branding right now – whether
| it’s Palm OS 2.0 or Next Generation, we’re not coming up with the branding
| right now. But this is something different to this” he says, pointing to the
| Centro.
`----

http://apcmag.com/palm_readies_nextgen_web_20_os.htm

JP Morgan Tech Show: Palm Sees Software Lifting its Fortunes

,----[ Quote ]
| Well, on the way to that Linux software, Palm hopes to return to increasing
| sales and return to profitability a couple of ways, said Brown: one, the
| Centro, is available at 10 carriers now and will be spreading to more
| carriers globally. That’s important, because the Centro sells for as little
| as $49, at AT&T, which means Palm has to make up the sales on volume. Her
| wouldn’t confirm if the Centro will be offered by Verizon Communications’s
| (VZ) Verizon Wireless unit, as rumored.
`----

http://blogs.barrons.com/techtraderdaily/2008/05/19/jp-morgan-tech-show-palm-sees-software-lifting-its-fortunes/?mod=BOLBlog
http://tinyurl.com/6foh9y

The New Pocket PCs

,----[ Quote ]
| That will change in 2009, according to Palm's vice president of smartphone
| product marketing, Stephane Maes. The company is developing its own modern,
| Linux-based OS, which will replace Palm OS by the end of the year. It will
| have a flexible interface and a very easy development environment, and it
| will focus on integrating personal information, Maes says.

Does ACCESS threaten Windows Mobile? (Video demonstration & interview.)

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://msmobiles.com/news.php/7183.html