Re: [News] Canadian Library Association Chooses OpenDocument Format, Another Application Adds ODF

  • Subject: Re: [News] Canadian Library Association Chooses OpenDocument Format, Another Application Adds ODF
  • From: Mark Kent <mark.kent@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2008 09:57:57 +0100
  • Cancel-lock: sha1:ZTl5w9NtEdewR9/hnmR8iQrSLZY=
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

> 2008 Annual General Meeting
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| Whereas the preservation of and long-term access to government information
>| are vital in a democratic society;
>|
>| And whereas in order for libraries to fulfill their role of preserving and
>| providing access to information, it is essential that governments and other
>| public bodies take steps to ensure that future generations can access
>| information created today;
>|
>| And whereas open, interoperable, vendor-neutral file format standards play a
>| key role in ensuring preservation and future access;
>|
>| And whereas the OpenDocument Format (ODF) is such a standard;
> `----
>
> http://www.cla.ca/AM/Template.cfm?Section=AGM_2008
>
> Only the British Library, which seems to be controlled by Microsoft 'insiders',
> might not choose ODF.

Surely the British Library will be prepared to learn from the Canadians,
who've clearly made absolutely the right choice here.  I would've
thought, after the fiasco that has been the corruption of ISO, that Mr
Farquhar will have moved on to something less risky for the Library, and
we'll have some sane and sensible people in charge, now?

--
| mark at ellandroad dot demon dot co dot uk                           |
| Open platforms prevent vendor lock-in.  Own your Own services!       |