[News] Linux Programmer's Death Exploited for Malware; No Solution for Windows Ransomware

  • Subject: [News] Linux Programmer's Death Exploited for Malware; No Solution for Windows Ransomware
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2008 08:22:35 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Site Exploits Linux Programmer's Death On Rainier To Hawk Malware

,----[ Quote ]
| I came across a site that promised to show video of Burceag, a 31-year-old
| Seattle-area resident who was director of Linux engineering for
| communications vendor Active Voice, if I would just click on the link.
| Immediately, I was redirected to a URL for OnlineScannerXP.com. It hijacked
| my browser and tried to sell me some malware.
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/blog/main/archives/2008/06/site_exploits_l.html

Ransomware Trojan code break 'impractical'

,----[ Quote ]
| A cryptographic expert has questioned the practicality of a code breaking
| initiative geared to cracking the key used in the dangerous Gpcode-AK
| ransomware virus.
|
| [...]
|
| But cryptographic expert Bruce Schneier argues that the effort is
| impractical, misguided and little better than a publicity stunt.
|
| "We've never factored a 1024-bit number - at least, not outside any secret
| government agency - and it's likely to require a lot more than 15 million
| computer years of work. The current factoring record is a 1023-bit number,
| but it was a special number that's easier to factor than a
| product-of-two-primes number used in RSA," he writes.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/06/13/ransomware_trojan_code_break/

Recent:

Wolf Reveals House Computers Compromised by Outside Source

,----[ Quote ]
| That kind of information, as well as everything else on my office
| computers -- e-mails, memos, correspondence and district casework - was open
| for outside eyes to see.
|
| [...]
|
| These cyber attacks permitted the source to probe our computers to evaluate
| our system's defenses, and to view and copy information.  My suspicion is
| that I was targeted by Chinese sources because of my long history of speaking
| out about China's abysmal human rights record.
`----

http://wolf.house.gov/index.cfm?sectionid=34&parentid=6&sectiontree=6,34&itemid=1174

Vista Called as Vulnerable as Predecessors

,----[ Quote ]
| It looks as if Vista's reputation for improved security could be heading for
| the pages of history. PC Tools has renewed last week's attack on the platform
| with new figures that appear to back up its claim that Vista is almost as
| vulnerable as its predecessors.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/146281/vista_called_as_vulnerable_as_predecessors.html

Vista security credentials tarnished in malware survey

,----[ Quote ]
| "[Vista]has been hailed by Microsoft as the most secure version of Windows to
| date. However, recent research conducted with statistics from over 1.4
| million computers within the ThreatFire community has shown that Windows
| Vista is more susceptible to malware than the eight year old Windows 2000
| operating system, and only 37 per cent more secure than Windows XP," said
| Simon Clausen, chief exec at PC Tools.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/05/09/win_malware_survey/

Vista as Insecure as Windows 2000