Re: [News] Vista Can't Compete with Linux on MIDs, Prices Likely to Fall Further

On 2008-06-12, The Ghost In The Machine <ewill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Gregory Shearman
><ZekeGregory@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
>  wrote
> on 12 Jun 2008 11:42:30 GMT
><slrng522t5.b14.ZekeGregory@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>> On 2008-06-12, The Ghost In The Machine <ewill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>>
>>> Far from dead; I happen to be sitting at one.  I've yet to
>>> see a phone that allows me to comfortably touch-type; most
>>> of them have rather chicklety keyboards.  Even my laptop's
>>> keyboard is less than ideal in that respect, though at
>>> least the keys thereon are full size.  (The pictures I see
>>> of the Asus Eee make it look slightly smaller than my nx9010,
>>> and presumably a fair bit lighter as well.)
>>
>> Hmmm... My Thinkpad has the best keyboard I've ever used, and I have
>> gigantic hands (I'm gigantic all over.... at nearly 2 metres.).
>>
>> I can touchtype rapidly and with the mid-keyboard "nipple" (trackpoint)
>> I don't even have to move my hands from the "home" position on the
>> keyboard.
>
> I can't say I've liked those; they're a little hard for me to control.
> Still, there is merit; any movement of one's hands away from the
> keyboard is time lost.

The trackpoint does take a little time to get used to, but once there,
it is like heaven... no searching for the mouse, no removing hands from
keyboard, even to move to a "trackball" or "trackpad". Bloody brilliant
idea IBM!

>> My desktop uses a standard Microsoft Keyboard and mouse which, though
>> rather good for the price (very cheap) are not a patch on my lappy.
>>
>> I have to agree with the OP and say that the Desktop is dead.
>
> Well, OK, you're making a distinction between desktop and
> notebook -- an interesting subpoint.  Nevertheless, I think
> many notebooks (except for the ASus Eee) will have that
> other solution preinstalled thereon as well.

Yeah.. I supposedly bought this IBM Thinkpad sans OS - from one of the
few companies in Australia that sell them, and yet when it arrived,
there was a copy of XP installed, with the OS serial number stuck to the
bottom of the unit with Microsoft's anti-tamper "technology". It stayed
on the machine about 15 minutes... repartitioned the HD (there was a
"hidden" partition, supposedly the clean install solution - taking up
about 5 gigs of the HD) and installed Gentoo. It's been on the machine
ever since.

As for the "subpoint" that the "desktop" is dead... hmmm, I can't really
think of another way to approach it.... other than the web-based apps..
which I don't use, though they look OK...

--
Regards,

Gregory.
Gentoo Linux - Penguin Power