XP Death Watch

http://www.infoworld.com/article/08/05/27/XP-deathwatch-T-minus-five-weeks_1.html

Even though it has had its own problems of late, Windows XP remains
the most-used version of  Windows. The newest data from Web metrics
vendor Net Applications, for example,
pegs XP as driving 73 percent of the personal computers that went
online last month,

five times the nearest competitor, Microsoft's own Windows Vista.

Which is why an impending deadline five weeks from today is important.

According to Microsoft, June 30 is the last day it will permit
retailers and OEMs to sell
 the nearly seven-year-old operating system.

[ Make your voice heard. Sign InfoWorld's 'Save Windows XP' petition
today. ]

http://weblog.infoworld.com/save-xp/

You'll have questions as that date approaches,

including whether the deadline will drive up  prices (gouging,
anyone?);

we plan to have the answers, starting with this FAQ and continuing
through the end of next month.

How long until Microsoft shuts off the XP spigot? Five weeks from
today is the last day Microsoft

will officially allow retailers to sell the old operating system, and
let major computer makers
--
 called "OEMs," for "original equipment manufacturers" -- to sell PCs
with XP pre-installed.

Monday, June 30, is the EOL, or End-Of-Life, a term Dell, not
Microsoft, has publicly used,
 for XP's retail and OEM availability.

So what's the June 18 date I've heard about? That's the day that Dell
has said is the last

 possible day for its customers to buy a machine running Windows XP.
"To meet Microsoft's

June 30 last-day-to-ship OEM Windows XP deadline,

June 18 is the last time to purchase a Dell laptop, desktop, or
workstation

with an OEM Windows XP license"

, Dell says on its Web site.

  www.dell.com