[News] [Rival] Microsoft Backstabs Own People by Faking and Lying About OSS

Microsoft's Open Source Faux Pas

,----[ Quote ]
| The fix to Microsoft's open source faux pas creates another problem:
| Developers were relying on Sandcastle to produce code documentation. Numerous
| documentation tool summarily yanked out from under their projects.
`----

http://reddevnews.com/blogs/weblog.aspx?blog=2281

The Inevitability of Open Source Windows

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft is going to become an OSS company, not a FOSS company. (See what
| the “F” stands for here.) We are already seeing the early signs of this. They
| have created a couple of open source licenses and have submitted them for
| approval successfully with the Open Source Initiative. Microsoft has pledged
| to become a more open company. Although the said pledge has been received
| with a lot of skepticism, I think they really mean it. They have to.
| Microsoft is now hard at work trying to convince the world that they really
| have changed. Is all this going to be enough? I don’t think so.
`----

http://temporaryland.wordpress.com/2008/06/12/the-inevitability-of-open-source-windows/

Microsoft calls open source "communism" and unamerican. Nothing ever changed.
They just try to redefine OSS so as to mean something totally different.

Trop de Tropes

,----[ Quote ]
| This trope of openness being "just another business model" is a favourite of
| Microsoft's, alongside "we need more than one standard for a given area, to
| promote choice" - when what are needed are *implementations* of a single
| standard. These rhetorical siblings are rather desperate, if amusingly
| Jesuitical, attempts to use words to gloss over the reality.
`----

http://opendotdotdot.blogspot.com/2008/06/trop-de-tropes.html

Another faker:

VIA Evaluating Its Open-Source Role

,----[ Quote ]
| With VIA still thinking of what to do for the open-source community, we're
| looking at some time before the community sees any action -- even if VIA just
| goes through half the protocols that AMD is going through with their
| open-source process. Long story short, the silence isn't because VIA is busy
| working on their open-source contributions, but they don't even know yet what
| they want to do. By that time, NVIDIA could be opened up and AMD could be
| working on open-source R800 specifications.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NjUyMg

Related:

Steve Ballmer: "I would love to see all open source innovation happen on top of
Windows"

,----[ Quote ]
| Steve Ballmer apparently likes open source. Well, so long as it drives
| Windows revenue. And doesn't replace any. Ever. In fact, as he said at an
| event in Microsoft last week in London that he hopes to see all open-source
| innovation going to Windows, rather than Linux (more below).
`----

http://blogs.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9793052-16.html?tag=more

Ballmer: Microsoft Will Buy Open-Source Companies

,----[ Quote ]
| "We will do some buying of companies that are built around open-source
| products," Ballmer said during an onstage interview at the Web 2.0 Summit in
| San Francisco.
`----

http://www.crn.com/software/202404305

Steve Ballmer on Open Source, Online and Other

,----[ Quote ]
| Any plans to bring development tools to other platforms? No.
`----

http://weblog.infoworld.com/openresource/archives/2007/10/steve_ballmer_o.html?source=rss

OSI approves Microsoft licenses

,----[ Quote ]