[News] Free Software Fights Against the Great DRM Scam

Relevance of Free Software and its Philosophy in the Digital Era

,----[ Quote ]
| So this is the very DRM-(Digital Restrictions Management).Where the profit
| makers of the old-technology are trying to build an artificial stop against
| natural progress of technology.And What more?! They are using the very same
| technology instead to restrict the people and make more profit by offering
| more inconvenience that the old one didn't have.In the case of film
| makers,They are using the very power of digital technology to restrict
| copying of cds, and some times restricting the use of the cd by the direct
| consumer himself for a second time.This is more explicit in the case of
| E-Books. This can be related to the situation in which the consumer has to
| pay again and again just to re-use the same "product" for which he has
| already payed.In otherwords,the cost of "buying" of "objects" in digital era
| can't be compared to the material objects.
`----

http://swatantran.blogspot.com/2008/06/relevance-of-free-software-and-its.html

[FSF] Free Software Supporter, June 2008

,----[ Quote ]
| The DRM Elimination Crew attended the grand opening of Apple's new
| store in Boston -- now its largest US store.
|
| The clear glass front of the store stands in stark contrast to Apple's
| unethical business practices, including using opaque Digital
| Restrictions Management software to take rights away from its
| customers.
|
| Though Apple did attempt to have us evicted, the Boston police
| apparently did not agree. They watched while we handed out flyers and
| stickers and asked the people waiting in line to get in to make their
| opposition to DRM known inside the store.
|
|         * <http://defectivebydesign.org/blog/1138>
`----

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/info-fsf/2008-06/msg00000.html

Recent:

When DRM detonates your music collection

,----[ Quote ]
| It is all down to the digital rights management (DRM) software that Microsoft
| has embedded in all its music downloads to combat illegal file-sharing. For
| DRM to work it needs a central computer to keep a live record of who has
| registered which songs to which computers. The problem is that the main
| server is now being turned off as the company wants to sell downloads with a
| new type of DRM. How odd that the old system was marketed as PlaysForSure.
`----

http://technology.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/tech_and_web/the_web/article3898784.ece

Related:

Microsoft: We Like DRM