[News] Forrester 'Research' Paid by Microsoft for GNU/Linux FUD

Forrester survey discovers that virtually no one uses open source (?!?)

,----[ Quote ]
| Back in 2005, Microsoft was paying Forrester for anti-Linux research. I
| assume that this report, referenced at the top of this post, is more of the
| same. But even in the midst of FUD there is real data that can make
| open-source vendors better.
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13505_3-9964505-16.html

Links to:

Commentary: Getting the Facts, Forrester-style

,----[ Quote ]
| Still browsing through Microsoft's Get the Facts campaign website, and I
| think I found one of the primary reasons Microsoft is hammering on
| the "You've already bought us once, why not more?" theme. Take a look at this
| Forrester chart, available here in its original report, posted (and paid for)
| by Microsoft.
`----

http://asay.blogspot.com/2005/09/commentary-getting-facts-forrester.html

Does anyone /still/ not believe that these people are typically marketers in
suits? They merely serve the affluent companies by sellling ('generating')
so-called reports.

“Analysts sell out - that’s their business model… But they are very concerned
that they never look like they are selling out, so that makes them very
prickly to work with.”

                                        –Microsoft, internal document

Recent:

Linux: Who got it right, who got it very wrong?

,----[ Quote ]
| Open-source software, once derided as the unsupportable and unreliable work
| of hobbyists, has secured itself a place at the table of many a large
| enterprise, although in ways that were different than many expected even five
| years ago.
|
| By promoting a culture of transparency and forcing independent software
| vendors and service providers to add value in new ways, open source can be
| lauded for shaking up an industry that was ripe for a change. Instead of
| thinking in terms of market domination and customer lock-in, the industry is
| now prepared to work for its lunch — and to respect the customers' desire for
| a better option, whether it's open source or otherwise.
`----

http://www.zdnet.com.au/insight/software/soa/Special-Report-Linux-Who-got-it-right-who-got-it-very-wrong-/0,139023769,339288936,00.htm
http://tinyurl.com/5vslb8

Related:

A response to that FUD piece, "Linux Still Doesn't Make it On Desktop", from
Microsoft Shill, Michael Gartenberg:

http://slated.org/linux_still_doesnt_make_it_on_desktop_is_pure_fud

Evangelist Gartenberg back to being analyst

,----[ Quote ]
| After only three weeks at Microsoft as an "evangelist," Michael
| Gartenberg is returning to his old job as vice president and
| research director at JupiterResearch.
`----

http://news.com.com/2061-10805_3-6165381.html?part=rss&tag=2547-1_3-0-20&subj=news

Need some data to support your cause? Hire an analyst

`----

http://www.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9894178-16.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=TheOpenRoad

http://advice.cio.com/thomas_wailgum/it_research_brought_to_you_by?page=0%2C0