[News] GNU/Linux Adopted in Turkey, Pardus 2008 RC Reviewed

Open source tour of Europe: Turkey

,----[ Quote ]
| There are sporadic examples of Turkish open source projects. In August 2007
| Turkey’s Military Recruitment Division, which is part of the Ministry of
| Defense, announced that it was switching to Pardus Linux on all of its 4,500
| desktops and more than five hundred servers.
|
| Pardus is also being used by Turkish Radio and Television Supreme Council as
| part of its digital television archive and analysis project.
|
| Meanwhile CentOS is used along with Apache and MySQL to power Yerelnet, a web
| site designed to encourage collaboration between local governments. Other
| early adepter success stories include Manisa Health Directorate, Petrol-Is,
| and Neziroglu Motors, all of which are using Pardus Linux.
|
| While there are few examples of Turkish open source deployments to date there
| is reason to believe that may will be more in the future thanks to the fact
| that the Ministry of Education is teaching students to use and understand
| open source software as well as Windows as part of the IT curriculum.
`----

http://blogs.the451group.com/opensource/2008/06/12/open-source-tour-of-europe-turkey/
http://tinyurl.com/5zyfqj

Pardus 2008 RC1 - Great Distro Ahead

,----[ Quote ]
| Pardus is an independently developed system with notable visions/history. The
| first version was released during the end of 2006. The initial version had
| many promising features like a new package management system, control center,
| installer and init system. Pardus 2007 also had one of the best looking KDE
| customizations. The lack of some important packages (like fglrx), longer
| installation time and some hardware issues made me to switch to other
| distributions.
|
| Pardus team has released RC version of their latest offering, Pardus 2008.
| This release has some noticeable features which made me to go back to Pardus.
`----

http://planetoss.com/detail.php?id=14

Related:

Real answers to the question “Can you run your business on Linux and open
source?”

,----[ Quote ]
| The first response was again very positive. “I have [a] connection with a
| number who do this and all reckon they have saved lots of money” he said.
|
| [...]
|
| He continued, “For the client OS migration, we are experiencing a large scale
| project for the Turkish Military now. 5.500 clients will migrate to Pardus (a
|                 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| Turkish government-backed Linux distribution.)”
| He concluded with some words of advice to make a desktop Linux deployment be
| successful: “For the client, you need a usable distribution (Pardus, Kubuntu,
| Suse, etc) with support for Flash, Java, PDF files, and every imaginable
| multimedia format right out of the box. That is, if you install Linux with
| just clicking on next and these come. Then almost 99% of ordinary desktop
| users will be satisfied.”
`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/15508/1141/1/2/

Battle of the Beasts: Wolvix vs. Pardus

,----[ Quote ]
| Final Score:
| Pardus = 7
| Wolvix = 3
| *Winner, Pardus!
|
| Conclusion:
| Pardus won by quite a large margin mainly because in my own opinion it is
| more polished and complete than Wolvix. However, I can’t fully assume that
| Wolvix is the ultimately loser in this battle since my judgment was solely
| based on the results of my tests and on my hardware alone. To be really fair,
| I need other people’s opinion. So, to those who have also tried these two
| distros, feel free to give us your thoughts.
`----

http://www.junauza.com/2008/03/battle-of-beasts-wolvix-vs-pardus.html

There’s Something About Pardus

,----[ Quote ]
| I've tried so many distros already and only few have left a lasting
| impression on me. Pardus Linux is now one of the very few. I just love almost
| every vital part of it. The system installer, the package manager, and the
| control center among others are all wonderfully crafted. I can tell that the
| developers took their time to really buff up this distro. I’m sorry to say
| though that Pardus is still pretty much underrated, because many distros are
| far more popular but are not as good as Pardus. Anyway, I’m so glad that I’ve
| tried Pardus, and I would highly recommend it to just about anyone who is
| still searching for a fully featured, easy-to-use, and quality Linux distro.
`----

http://www.junauza.com/2008/03/theres-something-about-pardus.html

Review: Pardus Linux 2007.2

,----[ Quote ]
| Really, overall, I like Pardus a lot. I honestly have to admit that I was
| impressed. While it's certainly not to the level of PcLinuxOS, it most
| definitely can hold its own against the major players in the Linux market. If
| you're new to Linux, or a more seasoned user, you will definitely want to
| check it out. Right now I can't give Pardus my official recommendation due to
| a few flaws mentioned above, the biggest being the package manager. However,
| if those few flaws are rectified, I don't see why Pardus wouldn't find its
| way onto my recommended distributions list. It really was one of the more
| enjoyable experiences I've had lately in all my testing. And I've definitely
| tested several different distributions lately, some of which were so bad, the
| only right thing to do was to burn the cd. 0_0;;
|
| So reviewing Pardus was a breath of fresh air. I look forward to the next
| version of Pardus in hopes that it will have ironed out these last couple of
| problems so that I can, with a good conscience, add it to my recommended
| distributions list.
`----

http://www.raiden.net/?cat=2&aid=354

Turkey's Pardus distro is easy to use

,----[ Quote ]
| Overall, Pardus lives up to the goals and statements made by its developers.
| It is indeed easy to install and even easier to use. Pardus is an
| accommodating and customizable desktop system suitable for new and
| experienced users alike.
`----

http://www.linux.com/feature/122576

Pardus Linux 2007.3 Duyuruldu

,----[ Quote ]
| Pardus Linux version 2007.3 is now released.
`----

http://kemal.bioeng-network.org/2007/11/18/pardus-linux-20073-duyuruldu/

Pardus Linux 2007.2 Review.

,----[ Quote ]
| Pardus Linux  is funded by the Turkish government. With the support from the
| government, I hope that Linux and open source software  would  be given  more
| emphasis by the newly elected Turkey  government.
`----

http://www.linuxseekers.com/content/view/174/1/

Kurdish operating system under investigation by Turkish attorney general

,----[ Quote ]
| Previously, we reported that Kurdish Linux was launched in Turkey:
| Kurdish Ubuntu, a Linux distribution, was launched this week with a
| reception in Diyarbakir. Ubuntu was the first Linux distribution to
| implement Kurdish localization[1]. Kurdish localization in Linux was
| an important milestone for Turkey due to ethnic conflicts
|
| [...]
|
| Sources:
|
| "Kürtçe Linux haz?r - Kurdish Linux Ready". NTVMSNBC, November
| 23, 2006
|
| "Kürtçe yaz?l?ma soru?turma - Kurdish software under
| investigation". Milliyet, November 28, 2006

http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/Kurdish_operating_system_under_investigation_by_Turkish_attorney_general

Kurdish Linux launched in Turkey

,----[ Quote ]
| November 24, 2006
|
| Kurdish Ubuntu, a Linux distribution, was launched this week with a
| reception in Diyarbakir. Ubuntu was the first Linux distribution to
| implement Kurdish localization
`----

http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/Kurdish_Linux_launched_in_Turkey

Free Software Period To Begin In Public Organizations

,----[ Quote ]
| A new and free software period, which brings the
| utilization of Linux-based operating systems with open
| source codes instead of Microsoft's operating systems
| in computers, will begin in Turkish public
| organizations.
|
| The first application will be performed in the Draft
| Department of the Ministry of National Defence where
| Turkey's national software 'Pardus', developed by
| Scientific and Technological Research Council of
| Turkey (TUBITAK), will be used as the basic
| operating system.
`----

http://www.turkishpress.com/news.asp?id=147873

Pardus Linux 2007.2 Review

,----[ Quote ]
| The last time I tried Pardus (around 6 months ago) there were frequent
| freezes, and I mean a lot; to such an extent that it did not allow me to do
| anything usefull to it. But I can see the effect of consistent hard work from
| pardus developors. Pardus is far from being complete but it is on the right
| track, may be one year from now, it will be shine amongst rest of distros.
`----

http://simplyjat.blogspot.com/2007/07/pardus-linux-20072-review.html

Pardus 2007.2 - A Review

,----[ Quote ]
| I hope that with the recent release, Pardus will continue to climb the ranks
| and get closer to the top where it deserves to be. For those looking for a
| great out-of-the-box KDE-based distribution, I highly recommend giving Pardus
| a shot, you will not be disappointed. Unfortunately, as I have a few
| distributions lined up to review, I will be replacing Pardus with something
| new tomorrow! For those that can advocate further, regarding their use with
| Pardus, please post comments so other readers can see what you have
| experienced.
`----

http://shiftbackspace.com/2007/07/12/pardus-20072-a-review/

Pardus [Linux] 2007.2 - Unrivalled Wlan Support.

,----[ Quote ]
| I  managed  to get  these  5 wifi cards  connected  to my  Linksys router
| via  the  WPA-PSK encryption protocol out-of-the-box  with the help of the
| network manager. The connectivity was  excellent.  Despite  still  using  the
| softmac stack  instead of  the  devicescape  stack, Pardus Kurulan  2007.2
| (installation CD)  managed to conquer  all of these  notebook-based wlan
| cards.
`----

http://www.linuxseekers.com/content/view/152/1/

Review: Pardus Linux 2007 Kurulan RC2

,----[ Quote ]
| I've suddenly become an advocate for Pardus Linux. I've thoroughly enjoyed
| playing with this "Kurulan" RC2 release and actually find it as capable as
| some of the much bigger players that I tend to toy with. It may not have the
| biggest English community of all the distros but I hope that situation
| changes because this is actually an excellent release.
`----

http://www.seopher.com/articles/review_pardus_linux_2007_kurulan_rc2

Review: Pardus Linux 2007.1

,----[ Quote ]
| Pardus is a relatively unknown release funded and developed by the
| Scientific and Technological Research Council of Turkey.
`----

http://www.seopher.com/articles/review_pardus_linux_2007_1

Pardus 2007.1 -- Almost Perfect

,----[ Quote ]
| Pardus is a unique distribution which has its own solutions which
| work very well. I think that the distribution deserves far greater
| renown than it has currently and if it keeps up such innovation
| and quality, it'll be an important player in the category of
| extensive desktop distributions.
`----

http://polishlinux.org/linux/pardus/pardus-20071-almost-perfect/

Review: PCLinuxOS 2007 Test 3

,----[ Quote ]
| I look forward to seeing how this distribution, like SimplyMEPIS,
| continues to improve and bring a friendly and comprehensive
| configuration system to Linux. New Linux users would do well to
| check out either of these distributions. However if you're using
| a recent model Nvidia card, I have to recommend SimplyMEPIS
| over PCLinuxOS for its out of the box Nvidia driver support.
`----

http://www.triedit.org/review/review-pclinuxos-2007-test-3/

Pardus 2007.1: Warmly Recommended by Béranger pardus

,----[ Quote ]
| Pardus 2007.1 deserves much more attention than PCLinuxOS 2007 or Kubuntu.
`----

http://beranger.org/index.php?article=2623&from=rss

A Second Look At Pardus 2007.1 RC: Surprises, Surprises

,----[ Quote ]
| My first look at Pardus 2007.1 Release Candidate was somehow
| pessimistic, however I was confident in the future.
`----

http://beranger.org/index.php?article=2575

Pardus Linux 2007.1 Felis chaus: Released!

,----[ Quote ]
| KDE 3.5.6, a faster PiSi, better networking for wireless users...
| release announcement and Distrowatch brief.
`----

http://beranger.org/index.php?article=2611&from=rss

Pardus gives Linux a custom lift

,----[ Quote ]
| Apart from a KDE desktop and applications, the developers of the
| Pardus 2007 Linux distribution have built an entire distribution
| from scratch. Pardus, released last month, has its own multilingual
| installer, custom dependency-resolving package manager, and an INIT
| system that slashes boot times by several seconds. The distribution
| has come a long way since its first release in 2005, when it was
| based on Gentoo and lacked a package manager. Thanks to its custom
| tools, it's one of the easiest Linux distribution to run and manage.
|
| [...]
|
| If you've been using a Linux distribution for some time, getting
| used to Pardus wouldn't take long, despite all its custom tools. New
| users will appreciate the ease in carrying out out system tasks such
| as setting up firewalls and managing startup services. With its
| modest hardware requirements and streamlined boot scripts,
| Pardus could easily turn an old machine gathering dust into
| a modern Linux desktop.
`----

http://distrocenter.linux.com/article.pl?sid=07/01/19/1449245

Pardus Linux 2007

,----[ Quote ]
| Having seen dozens of Linux distributions announcing themselves with
| great enthusiasm only to disappear at the sight of a first problem a
| few months later, I am not easily impressed by any new arrival on the
| Linux distro scene. As such, when the first stable release of Pardus
| Linux was announced in 2005, I found myself inserting the installation
| CD with a considerable amount of scepticism.
`----

http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20070115#review

Pardus -- a penguin from Turkey

,----[ Quote ]