[News] Canonical's Latest Product Could Bring More Open Source Drivers

Canonical wants Netbook partners to open drivers for Ubuntu

,----[ Quote ]
| We took our first look at components of the Ubuntu Netbook Remix last week
| shortly after it was announced at the Computex show in Taiwan. Canonical's
| original announcement provided little insight into plans for subnotebooks
| based on the software and left questions unanswered about how the Netbook
| Remix will be distributed, but a blog entry by Canonical boss Mark
| Shuttleworth offers some answers, along with news that Canonical will push
| hardware partners to release open source drivers.
|
| [...]
|
| The revelation of OEM partnerships implies that we will likely see the
| Netbook Remix on upcoming subnotebook devices from mainstream hardware
| vendors. In light of Dell's existing relationship with Canonical, the
| recently unveiled mini laptop from Dell is a likely candidate for Ubuntu
| Netbook adoption. What we have seen so far of the software is impressive, and
| the final product will likely be a lot more polished than current options
| like the flavor of Xandros that Asus ships on the Eee.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20080610-canonical-wants-netbook-partners-to-open-drivers-for-ubuntu.html

Recent:

Trying Out Ubuntu's Netbook Remix

,----[ Quote ]
| In a blog posting this morning by Mark Shuttleworth about Netbook Remix, he
| mentions Canonical is currently working with two other companies to design
| more radical user interfaces for their mobile products. Mark also
| mentioned, "The aim was to do something very simple that could be tested
| easily, work with touch devices and made shippable very quickly. It also
| needed to be efficient on lower-power devices, and work well with Intel
| hardware, which seems to be the preferred platform for this generation of
| devices and allows us to slip a few nice effects in that would be hard
| without the right hardware support."
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=ubuntu_netbook_remix&num=1

Hands on with the Ubuntu Netbook Remix

,----[ Quote ]
| Canonical is positioning itself to take the lead on software in the
| subnotebook market, but a big piece of the puzzle is still absent: customers.
| Although Canonical is working closely with Intel on reference designs, there
| is no word yet about potential commercial adopters for the Netbook Remix. No
| major OEMs have revealed plans to use it yet and Canonical is still actively
| looking for new partners in the hardware space. Regardless of whether it gets
| picked up by hardware makers like Asus, it is sure to be a big hit with
| Ubuntu's fans. The fact that so many users are installing the regular desktop
| version of Ubuntu on their Eee laptops is strong indication that there is
| demand for Ubuntu on subnotebooks.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20080604-hands-on-with-the-ubuntu-netbook-remix.html
http://tinyurl.com/3laf8b

The Ultimate Ultraportable?

,----[ Quote ]
| As I've noted a number of times, I think the appearance of the ultraportable
| platform will provide a huge boost for GNU/Linux among ordinary users, and
| prove to be a watershed in the history of open source. The combination of
| ultraportable form factor with Ubuntu's ease-of-use will only magnify that
| effect. And if the rumours about Dell's new mini Inspiron running Ubuntu
| (presumably the Netbook Remix) prove correct, we could be witnessing the
| birth of the ultimate ultraportable.
`----

http://www.computerworlduk.com/toolbox/open-source/blogs/index.cfm?entryid=870&blogid=14

Otellini: 'MID revolution will be centred round Linux'

,----[ Quote ]
| Intel CEO says Microsoft's insistence on pushing Vista will hand market to
| open source rival
|
| Intel's CEO has said that he sees the revolution that is about to happen
| around mobile internet devices (MID) such as the Eee PC and other Atom-based
| sub-notebooks will be "centred round Linux", in an interview with Associated
| Press.
`----

http://www.pcretailmag.com/news/29939/Otellini-MID-revolution-will-be-centred-round-Linux

Related:

Intel: Why Open-Source Drivers Work

,----[ Quote ]
| He also mentioned that a major OEM is requiring that by next year their
| hardware suppliers must either have an open-source driver available or be
| able to provide an open-source driver within the next twelve months. The
| likely company that comes to mind is Dell but Dirk refused to comment any
| further.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=850&num=1

Dell pushes for better Linux drivers

,----[ Quote ]
| Amit Bhutani told a session at the Ubuntu Live 2007 conference that Dell has
| several "areas of investigation" when it comes to Linux.
`----

http://www.crn.com.au/story.aspx?CIID=87745&src=site-marq

Dell Wants Better ATI Linux Drivers

,----[ Quote ]
| At Ubuntu Live 2007, Amit Bhutani had a session on Ubuntu Linux for Dell
| Consumer Systems, where he had shared a slide with Dell's "area of
| investigation", which Amit had said is essentially their Linux road-map. Amit
| had also stated that the NVIDIA 2D and 3D video drivers were "challenges in
| platform enablement". Dell wants to offer ATI Linux systems, but first the
| driver must be improved for the Linux platform (not necessarily open-source,
| but improved).
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/?page=news_item&px=NTkxOA

Ubuntu plus Dell equals better support for devices in Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| One of the best things that has happened to Linux enthusisasts the world over
| is the confluence of two big players one in the Linux arena (Ubuntu aka
| Canonical) and the other in the PC hardware space (Dell). And the end users
| have already started reaping the benefits.
`----

http://linuxhelp.blogspot.com/2007/07/ubuntu-plus-dell-equals-better-support.html

Pre-loaded Linux = Increased adoption?

,----[ Quote ]
| "I think Dell pre-loading Linux will have a significant impact on
| Linux adoption, although not necessarily because so many end
| users comfortable with Windows will decide to switch. Rather,
| Dell's involvement will motivate many hardware manufacturers
| to make reliable Linux drivers available, the lack of which
| has significantly retarded the adoption of Linux by many
| individuals and organizations interested in trying out Linux.
| By reducing the barrier of drivers and thereby enabling these
| trials, Linux will start to achieve some momentum, which will
| in turn increase its adoption rate. So, I applaud Dell for
| moving forward on this initiative."
`----

http://enterpriselinuxlog.blogs.techtarget.com/2007/05/01/pre-loaded-linux-increased-adoption/

Linux: Driver Support is Key