[News] Novell Criticised for Keeping SUSE Source Code Private

To LXDE or not to LXDE. And much more... (it's Monday)

,----[ Quote ]
| Novell is making me sick too. I happen to run on a discussion about Why is
| there no Open Source SLES?, just to notice that indeed, you can't have the
| SRPMS for SLES/SLED in free access!
|
| The SRPMS from ftp://forgeftp.novell.com/sledsource/ are "frozen" (as of
| release), so pretty useless.
|
| The page at you.novell.com/update/.../SUSE-SLES/10/rpm/src/ requires to a
| valid account (paying, that is).
|
| And indeed, the page Source Code of the Patches for Maintained Products says
| that "You must have a registered SUSE product with upgrade protection in
| order to access the patch source code downloads." So the sources are only
| available for paying customers!
`----

http://beranger.org/index.php?page=diary&2008/06/09/11/05/34-to-lxde-or-not-to-lxde-and-much-

Recent:

One more thing with Novell: the EULA!One more thing with Novell: the EULA!

,----[ Quote ]
| So, the most shocking part for me? The openSUSE 11.0b3 EULA.
|
| "The Grumpy Editor" is quoting the most relevant parts: «It must be said that
| this distribution got off on rather the wrong foot; it puts up an end-user
| license agreement which prohibits redistribution for compensation, bundling
| openSUSE with any other "offering," reverse engineering, transfer of the
| software, use in a production environment, or publishing benchmark results
| (but only if you're a software vendor). Users are required to stop using the
| software upon termination of the license, which happens after 90 days, after
| the next release, or whenever Novell says so. And, just in case one was
| considering the crime of using the release for too long: "The Software may
| contain an automatic disabling mechanism that prevents its use after a
| certain period of time, so You should back up Your system and take other
| measures to prevent any loss of files or data."»
|
| [...]
|
| Novell, the only way you can use Linux and feel like you're using Windows.
| Read the EULA before our lawyers contact you. Most important: we might
| disable your copy whenever we want. Free Trojan horse included. "Upgrade to
| SLED or to Vista" coupon available on request.
`----

http://beranger.org/index.php?page=diary&2008/06/04/07/30/57-one-more-thing-with-novell-the-e

Novell joins Microsoft in Anti-Linux FUD

,----[ Quote ]
| The Novell “partnership” with Microsoft has been a hot topic in Linux circles
| since it was announced a few years ago. Recently, Novell and Microsoft
| introduced a joint-marketing site to promote their collaboration.
|
| A few years ago, I had really high hope’s for Novell’s forays in to Linux.
| However; bad move after bad move has left me with no confidence in Novell or
| their Linux products. I can’t say I was shocked to find this work of
| misinformation touting the “benefits” of Novell over Redhat and “unpaid”
| Linux.
|
| Novell has this lovely chart to highlight the benefits of SUSE over “unpaid”
| Linux. “Unpaid” is a complete spin word, sounding like something Karl Rove
| cooked up in a focus group.
`----

http://alexvalentine.org/?p=594

Mono, The Road To Hell: Final Proof

,----[ Quote ]
| This is a Microsoft-branded piece of shit.
|
| Now, if there are still Linux users still loving Mono, and still believing
| they have anything in common with FREEDOM & Open Source, they're idiots like
| hell.
|
| Proofs of MALA FIDE from Microsoft's part:
|
|  1. NOBODY interested in a good-faith patent protection would restrict the
|  protection to the downstream recipients of a UNIQUE source — but this is
|  what Microsoft is doing!
|
|  2. NOBODY interested in a good-faith patent protection would restrict the
|  protection to the UNMODIFIED AND USED "AS INTENDED" ("for the intended
|  purpose") for an OPEN-SOURCE project — but this is what Microsoft is doing!
|
|  3. NOBODY interested in a good-faith patent protection would restrict the
|  protection in any ways. Simply imposing restrictions means WHATEVER FALLS
|  OUTSIDE THE SPECIFIC CONDITIONS IS SUBJECT TO FEAR, UNCERTAINTY AND DOUBT!
|
| Yes, this is Microsoft. Yes, this covenant is ONLY and ONLY for the benefit
| of Novell's SLED and SLES, and for the benefit of openSUSE. This is for
| people to ONLY consider openSUSE as a "safe" Linux way to use Moonlight and
| Mono, and therefore to increase the penetration of SLED/SLES as "the" Linux
| for the Enterprise.
|
| This is the abjection of the Microsoft-Novell fascist conspiracy.
|
| Have a nice day.
`----

http://beranger.org/index.php?page=diary&2008/05/29/17/08/18-mono-the-road-to-hell-final-proo

Novell ushers in Moonlight

,----[ Quote ]
| The binary version of Moonlight does not have audio and video support
| built-in. If you want the audio and video features you have to build
| Moonlight from source using the instructions on the Mono wiki.
`----

http://www.linux.com/feature/136608

Shining Some Light on Microsoft's Moonlight Covenant

,----[ Quote ]