Re: [News] Munich Releases Template Management Under European Union Public License

Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
On Tue, 10 Jun 2008 16:08:52 -0500, Matt wrote:

Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
On Wed, 04 Jun 2008 21:05:09 -0500, Matt wrote:

Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
On Tue, 03 Jun 2008 14:59:34 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

Munich released template management software as Open Source
So now other countries can take 14 years to migrate a couple thousand
desktops from Windows to Linux.

Munich is a complete joke when it comes to anything Linux.
Yeah, and so many big IT people in Europe don't get it. They are actually taking the Munich migration seriously and even imitating it. Total insanity.
EU seems to ahead of the USA in general with OSS and Linux and that's a
good thing because if they can make it work for them, great.
I have no problem with that and in fact I think it's a good thing.

However, the Munich migration is and has been so far, a total clusterfuck
by anyone's measurement.

To quote Roy, Neely Kroes plonks you:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/11/technology/11microsoft.html?_r=3&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss&oref=slogin&oref=slogin&oref=slogin
(((((
She praised the German city of Munich for using software based on open standards, along with the German Foreign Ministry and the Gendarmerie Nationale, FranceοΏ½s national police force.
)))))

The only problem is that she didn't praise the fact that it is years behind
schedule and will cost far more than anticipated and if that isn't enough
by the time they are finally through, it will be mostly obsolete.

Obviously she is saying that the Munich migration is worthwhile despite the costs and delays it might be having.

Next time read the facts instead of listening to a house organ.

I just think you ought to try to straighten her out about what a failure the Munich migration has been. Let her know about your inside sources who tell you what a disaster it's been. And I doubt that she reads COLA.