Re: [News] The Latest Stupid Plan to Fight Intellectual Monopolies -- by Paying

____/ Homer on Monday 30 June 2008 14:49 : \____

> Verily I say unto thee, that Phil Da Lick! spake thusly:
>> amicus_curious wrote:
>
>>> Well the obvious lesson you can learn here is to not be a little
>>> guy, eh?
>
> What a bloody stupid statement. *Every* company /starts/ out small. The
> creation of "IP" protection rackets only serves to inhibit entry to what
> is supposed to be a free market by creating impenetrable barriers.
>
> It's all very well gloating about protectionist thugs like Microsoft
> being the "big boys", but the fact is that if the "IP" landscape in the
> 70's had looked like it does today, then Microsoft would never have even
> existed. Essentially you are hypocritically and unethically endorsing
> the concept of racketeers profiting from (what should be) a crime that
> would have destroyed those same racketeers when they were starting out.
>
> You might just as well justify punching a baby in the face by claiming
> that "it's his own fault for being so small and helpless".
>
> You really are one of the most vile and evil bastards on Usenet.
>
>> No, the obvious lesson is to [abolish] software patenting and make
>> the big boys compete for their "revenue streams" on product merit,
>> and not reliance on monopoly.
>
> An even more important lesson to learn is that monopolists are criminals
> who should be dealt with no more leniently than any other type of
> gangster, regardless of how highly such gangsters are revered by morally
> depraved goons like amicus_unscrupulous.

A Patent Lie

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft sang a very different tune in 1991. In a memo to his
| senior executives, Bill Gates wrote, "If people had understood how
| patents would be granted when most of today's ideas were invented,
| and had taken out patents, the industry would be at a complete
| standstill today." Mr. Gates worried that "some large company will
| patent some obvious thing" and use the patent to "take as much of
| our profits as they want."
`----

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/09/opinion/09lee.html

Bill Gates and other communists

,----[ Quote ]
| ...Thanks to Mr. Gates, we now know that an open Internet with protocols
| anyone can implement is communism...
|
| ...Mr. Gates' secret is out now--he too was a "communist;" he, too,
| recognized that software patents were harmful-until Microsoft
| became one of these giants...
`----

http://news.com.com/Bill+Gates+and+other+communists/2010-1071_3-5576230.html?part=rss&tag=5575731&subj=news.1071.20

Uber-troll Gates is doing it again (
http://antitrust.slated.org/www.iowaconsumercase.org/011607/3000/PX03020.pdf )

CEOs neglect patent portfolios, says M'soft exec

,----[ Quote ]
| "Other than Bill Gates, I don't know of any high tech CEO that sits down to
| review the company's IP portfolio," said Phelps, who ran IBM's IP business
| before joining Microsoft four years ago.
|
| [...]
|
| Microsoft has struck six deals with open source companies, the biggest a
| recent deal with Novell, and more such deals are yet to come. In the past 18
| months, Microsoft has spent a whopping $1.4 billion acquiring intellectual
| property of various sorts, Phelps said.
|
| "The great ideas in technology will increasingly come from outside corporate
| labs," he said. "To me it doesn't make a difference if you got your portfolio
| through R&D or through buying it," he added.
`----

http://www.eetimes.com/news/latest/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=202403071

- --
                ~~ Best of wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "Beauty is in the eye of the beerholder"
 15:20:01 up 76 days, 13:32,  6 users,  load average: 0.83, 0.61, 0.73