[News] More Adoption of Free Software Principles in Biology

The Systems Biology Research Tool: evolvable open-source software

,----[ Quote ]
| Conclusions: The Systems Biology Research Tool represents a technological
| advance for systems biology. This software can be used to make sophisticated
| computational techniques accessible to everyone (including those with no
| programming ability), to facilitate cooperation among researchers, and to
| expedite progress in the field of systems biology.
`----

http://7thspace.com/headlines/285711/the_systems_biology_research_tool_evolvable_open_source_software.html

Recent:

New born BioPuppy Linux for Bioinformatics

,----[ Quote ]
| BioPuppy OS is an electronic workbench for bio-informatics and computational
| biology. It has been designed to meet the needs of beginners. BioPuppy is
| available as a live CD cum installation CD [and in USB Pen drive] and
| containing all the required software to boot the computer with ready to use
| bio-informatics tools.
`----

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-news-59/new-born-biopuppy-linux-for-bioinformatics-642386/#post3154096

Related:

Open source synthetic biology

,----[ Quote ]
| Not everyone within synthetic biology takes the open-source approach, Andrew
| Hessel, an iGEM consultant who recruits teams from Canadian universities,
| told me, but the driving force behind it is iGEM and MIT (Rettberg works with
| renowned hacker-turned-synthetic biologist Tom Knight). Hessel likened the
| atmosphere to the time when computers were first becoming cheap enough to be
| affordable by anyone who wanted one, and young, bright kids began to play
| around with code.
`----

http://www.the-scientist.com/blog/display/53822/

Biology Goes Open Source

,----[ Quote ]
| Some of the world's biggest drug companies are finding that
| their genetic research is worth more to them if they give it away.
`----

http://www.forbes.com/business/2007/02/12/novartis-genes-diabetes-research-biz-cz_mh_0212novartis.html?partner=rss
http://tinyurl.com/2vqssl

Open Lab