[News] How to Promote Free Software at Proprietary Software's Expense

The FSF needs a new approach to advertising

,----[ Quote ]
| Obviously that isn’t possible, so my suggestions are as follows:
|
|     * Answer posts relating to proprietary software on UbuntuForums.org and
|       LinuxQuestions.org, and talk to these people about the benefits of Free
|       Software
|     * Create media, including videos, music, etc that people would enjoy
|       listening to (that means this doesn’t count) that they would enjoy
|       sharing with others
|     * Start Free Software User Groups
|     * Make an effort to get schools to switch to Free Software
`----

http://trombonechamp.wordpress.com/2008/06/28/the-fsf-needs-a-new-approach-to-advertising/

Recent:

Kernel space: drivers that don't make the kernel scene

,----[ Quote ]
| Linux supports most hardware "out of the box" without adding a driver. Most
| of the missing drivers are proprietary, from uncooperative manufacturers, but
| there are a few where the license is right but the actual code is still
| missing. Why?
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2008/062408-kernel.html?fsrc=rss-linux-news

How NVidia impedes Free Desktop adoption.

,----[ Quote ]
| nvidia.ko: The NVidia driver is the single component in a KDE4 / Free
| Operating system stack causing us most of the hard-to-solve problems. In
| other words, nvidia.ko has grave technical shortcomings.
`----

http://vizzzion.org/?blogentry=819

NVIDIA Plotting Open-Source Strategy?

,----[ Quote ]