[News] The Death of Windows XP Spurs Migration to GNU/Linux

Adios, Windows XP!

,----[ Quote ]
| Ladies and gentleman, Windows XP is dead.
|
| Say goodbye to annoying pop up balloons, and say hello to Ubuntu!
|
| Sure, I am sad about the departure of Windows XP, but this just gives me more
| reason to transition to Linux. Windows XP was very productive for me (I'm
| using it right now), and I will continue to use my laptop for a few tasks
| that require Windows, but XP got in the way of a lot of processes, including
| my programming. It is considerably harder to program on all Windows operating
| systems than it is Linux.
`----

http://blogs.pcworld.com/communityvoices/archives/2008/06/adios_windows_x.html

Related:

Vista to Ubuntu (100%)

,----[ Quote ]
| I had enough with eating crap with Vista. My last line of patience warned off
| when I happened to wait about 5 seconds when changing from one MS Doc file to
| another and also happened that I was running with time to finish a project
| report. No, I’m not running on 256 ram, it’s 1 GB and this kind of a time
| wastage is totally unacceptable. You may ask why I put up with Vista in the
| first place. That’s thanks to HP’s decision to embrace Vista so my laptop was
| pre-built with Vista and no chance to downgrade because there are no drivers.
| So where to go now ? Easy….Gutsy.
|
| [...]
|
| But my worries were groundless as Wine now supports Macromedia 8 series like
| a babe. Dreamweaver, Fireworks and Flash all works perfectly with Wine -
| installation to Execution. Another great thing with Gutsy is that my Broadcom
| network card support is inbuilt and with some additional applications I can
| search networks and connect to them like a charm. Also I’m using AWN manager
| to manage desktop (here is a great article on desktop styling - thanks to
| Lakshan) and now it looks like a hybrid between Leopard and Vista. So what
| else I can ask for ?
`----

http://luckycala.wordpress.com/2007/12/16/vista-to-ubuntu-100/

Prediction: Linux will Eat Microsoft on Most Desktops

,----[ Quote ]
| Now, compare that to a $500.00 desktop running Linux and OpenSource
| applicaitons. That would be about $50,000. The difference? Two or three
| employees, a huge bonus, a couple of vehicles, whatever. Not small.
`----

http://scienceblogs.com/gregladen/2007/12/prediction_linux_will_eat_micr.php

Microsoft's Big Problem in a Small Box

,----[ Quote ]
| Vista is a big operating system that demands monster graphics and dual-core
| processors. But what if the market pines for a whole lot less?
|
| [...]
|
| The mass move to mobile computing is a destabilizing force and harbinger of
| change. Microsoft's position would be better if Vista didn't demand so much
| when the market wants so little.
`----

http://www.microsoft-watch.com/content/desktop_mobile/microsofts_big_problem_in_a_small_box.html?kc=MWRSS02129TX1K0000535
http://tinyurl.com/2sg6xy

Linux is about to take over the low end of PCs

,----[ Quote ]