[News] Open Source Breeds Trust, Intelligence

The Meaning of Open Source (to the U.S. Govt.)

,----[ Quote ]
| I read about the U.S. government’s USAsearch.gov site using the Vivisimo
| engine for search federal, state, and local government sites in the U.S.
|
| [...]
|
| In government lingo Open Source means available sources of intelligence
| information (not in the espionage sense of the word).
`----

http://www.oreillynet.com/onlamp/blog/2008/06/the_meaning_of_open_source_to_1.html

The heart of open source is trust

,----[ Quote ]
| At its most basic vendors trust that those who download their software will
| contribute back to it, either financially or in some other way. Those who
| download trust they’re not just getting malware.
|
| Trust is at the center of the Internet’s business model. To paraphrase Dr.
| Strangelove’s Gen. Ripper, ISPs mix “precious bodily fluids.” Send data
| first, settle payment later.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=2607

Why The Economist is Clueless, Part 2353

,----[ Quote ]
|     A new business model: give away the game and charge avid players for
|     extras
|
| Well, "new" aside from the fact that free software has been using it in
| various forms for over 20 years....
`----

http://opendotdotdot.blogspot.com/2008/06/why-economist-is-clueless-part-2353.html

Recent:

US Patent Office to Try 'Open Source' Approach

,----[ Quote ]
| The goal is to expedite the discovery of "prior art" - creations
| that existed before the applicant for a patent claimed he invented
| them. If successful, the Peer-to-Patent Web site could become a
| kind of SourceForge for intellectual property integrity.
`----

http://www.betanews.com/article/US_Patent_Office_to_Try_Open_Source_Approach/1181591652
http://tinyurl.com/2wnytr

Related:

Seeing Is Believing

,----[ Quote ]
| Lack of Transparency
|
| Today, we only can say we know what a specific algorithm is supposed
| to do, measure its pre-trade analytics and see how the post-trade
| results match up to that expectation. But by then it's a little lateif the
| trader didn't select the most optimal algorithm for that trade. This
| problem is caused by a lack of visibility and transparency into the
| algorithm while it is executing orders.
`----

http://www.wallstreetandtech.com/feed/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=195300026

Trust is key in open source

,----[ Quote ]
| Trust is a two-way street. Vendors have to trust that their
| community is giving them an honest shot at profit. The community
| must trust that the vendor is going to stay true to the open
| source path.
|
| When trust disappears, both sides lose.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=859