[News] Replacing Paper and Pen at Schools with GNU/Linux Laptops

Paperless Schools and Linux Notebooks for Every Kid

,----[ Quote ]
| I would say that the Computerworld figure of 8,000 sheets per student, per
| year, might be a bit high for a U.S. student, but not outrageously so.
| Anyway, if you go through the whole calculation in the Computerwold post, the
| costs for paper, toner and all the rest of the expensive items needed for
| paper-driven schools vastly eclipse what it would cost to buy each student a
| Linux notebook computer. (Asus Linux notebooks are very popular now, come
| loaded with open source applications and no software licensing fees, and can
| be had for under $350.)
`----

http://ostatic.com/166633-blog/paperless-schools-and-linux-notebooks-for-every-kid

The author goes on to discussing handwriting, not acknowledging/realising that
this too is somewhat of a dying concept in modern places.

Recent:

Could the EEE 900 be the School Computer of the Future?

,----[ Quote ]
| The user interface is pretty interesting, and while much has been made of the
| tabs at the top of the screen in lieu of a traditional desktop, what I found
| most interesting was the fact that Asus blatantly mimicked the Windows XP
| theme as far as buttons and menu bars (see pictures below). It's an
| interesting way to go, trying to lessen the Linux shock for newcomers by
| making things at least appear to be the same, but I suppose that's a topic
| for another time. In any case, I had a few people who needed help noticing
| the tabs at the top of the screen, but once they saw them nobody had any
| trouble finding what they needed. Seemed to be effective, if not exactly
| expected.
|
| [...]
|
| Despite my own reservations about the eee 900, since I started loaning it out
| to teachers last week it's gotten nothing but positive results. Women
| especially seem to like it (maybe because they can see carrying it in a
| purse?) which is good since 80% of our staff is female. I think the reason
| for this is twofold: first, they really do like the small form factor offered
| by the eee.
`----

http://hartmansblog.blogspot.com/2008/05/eee-900-vision-of-future-school.html

Low-cost Linux laptop targets British education market

,----[ Quote ]
| Elonex is taking orders for a sub-$200 Linux-based laptop aimed at the
| British educational market. Based on a 300MHz processor, the Elonex One
| includes WiFi, Ethernet, Flash storage, USB, and a 7-inch, 800 x 480
| detachable touch display.

A tiny revolution

,----[ Quote ]
| It's smaller then a textbook and cheaper than many software packages. George
| Cole visits two schools using the first in a new breed of mini laptops
|
| [...]
|
| These mini laptops have caused a stir in the education sector, not least
| because they offer many features found on full-sized laptops, including
| built-in wireless networking. Their low cost (£169) is partly down to their
| use of open source software like the Linux operating system and free software
| packages such as Open Office.
`----

http://education.guardian.co.uk/link/story/0,,2266333,00.html

Mini-laptop sweeps through schools