[News] The Story of GNU/Linux Adoption at Californian School

Connecting with the Do'ers...Here's Your Shot.

,----[ Quote ]
| In the summer of 2000, I was reading lots of news about waves of viruses that
| would be coming up. Holden and I knew each other from discussing politics in
| the elevator during the 2000 election cycle, so I knew that he was a computer
| sys admin for a law firm in that building, and asked him what was the best
| anti-virus software.
|
| He said "Linux".
|
| After many conversations with Holden about the ups and downs of using Linux
| for my office, I decided that my fear of viruses was greater than my anxiety
| about an unknown operating system called Linux, and so I ordered a bunch of
| computer parts on the Internet which Holden proceeded to build into the first
| of several machines that he would build for me.
|
| [...]
|
| But we would need help making the lab work. We looked around together, and I
| found a guy by the name of Steve Hargadon who put in a commercial bid to
| build a Linux lab very reasonably. I mean VERY reasonably. In fact, the price
| was so low that it surprised the principal.
|
| That Linux lab ran for two years without a reboot.
|
| And we place an additional 12 GNU-Linux machines in other teachers'
| classrooms.
`----

http://linuxlock.blogspot.com/2008/06/connecting-with-doersheres-your-shot.html

Recent:

Koreans to showcase open source experience in Cebu summit

,----[ Quote ]
| KIPA has been actively pushing open source use in government. One of its
| projects resulted in a local version of Linux (called Buyeo) now used in
| nearly 200 schools in South Korea.
|
| KIPA is likewise working to make Linux more readily available to companies in
| Korea. It has publicly stated its goal to run 40 percent of servers in the
| country on open source.
|
| [...]
|
| Hansoft, meanwhile, will also be sending speakers to the conference. The
| company is one of Korea's biggest software firms and has active participation
| in various open source projects, including Asianux, a Linux version targeted
| at Asian markets.
`----

http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/breakingnews/infotech/view/20080614-142687/Koreans-to-showcase-open-source-experience-in-Cebu-summit
http://tinyurl.com/55k4qo

Related:

Schools across Japan may switch to Linux

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://gyaku.jp/en/index.php?cmd=contentview&pid=000112