[News] Red Hat Expects Growth, Stays Unharmed by Oracle's Ripoff

Red Hat expects steady growth

,----[ Quote ]
| Red Hat said on a conference call with analysts that it expected continued
| revenue growth, to between $162 million and $164 million, and flat earnings
| in the second quarter.
`----

http://uk.reuters.com/article/technologyNewsMolt/idUKN2525917220080626

What happened to Oracle's Red Hat challenge?

,----[ Quote ]
| In March, Oracle announced that it had 2,000 customers for its Unbreakable
| Linux Support program, up from 1,500 in November.
|
| "This indicates significant growth for the program, although we believe the
| vast majority of those customer wins are in Oracle-heavy accounts," notes
| Matt Aslett, an analyst of enterprise software for The 451 Group, based in
| New York.
`----

http://searchoracle.techtarget.com/news/article/0,289142,sid41_gci1318952,00.html

A Sun Update on the NetApp Litigation

,----[ Quote ]
| Releasing code is not all there is to it. Ethics, fairness, honesty -- it's
| the FOSS culture, and it's the value add. Any company that tries to play by
| the old rules undercuts that advantage. It's the one thing Microsoft can't
| embrace, extend, extinguish. They can't even offer Brand X, because we'd all
| laugh. It would, in any case, take decades to live down their rep. So players
| in this space need to morph that part of their way of doing business also. If
| you don't believe me, look at Oracle's play to try to undercut Red Hat.
|                               ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| Blech. And Red Hat is doing fine, thanks. It always will, unless it starts
| importing proprietary tactics into the mix. The community is made up of
| brainiacs, you know. They know what is happening, and there are no secrets,
| long-term. So I would hope that all companies wanting to make use of openness
| as a model will scrape the proprietary crud off of them before they enter. We
| want to keep things clean in here.

Yesterday:

Red Hat net up slightly, rev climbs 32 pct

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://uk.reuters.com/article/technology-media-telco-SP/idUKN2525917220080625