[News] PackageKit Makes Linux Packages More Universal

PackageKit finds sweet spot in quest for universal package tools

,----[ Quote ]
| Different GNU/Linux distributions provide incompatible systems for package
| management, and to date no one has quite figured out a foolproof way to get
| the best of them all. But where the alien utility tries to convert between
| major package formats, and Smart and Klik try to imagine new, universal forms
| of software installation, PackageKit has the more modest goal of supplying a
| universal front end that leaves the native package systems intact underneath.
| As Richard Hughes, the project lead for PackageKit, puts it, "PackageKit is a
| glue layer between the distro-specific parts, and some prettiness."
`----

http://www.linux.com/feature/137115

XULs in Mozilla's applications are nice (drag-and-drop installation in Linux).

4 Little Known Thunderbird Extensions

,----[ Quote ]
| I recently searched through the mozilla thunderbird extensions website and
| found 4 extensions that I didn't know about that actually prove to be quite
| useful.  I use Thunderbird 2.0.0.12 on Foresight Linux and have tested all of
| these extensions and verified that they work on that environment.
`----

http://linux-blog.org/index.php?/archives/264-4-Little-Known-Thunderbird-Extensions.html

Recent:

Installing applications on Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Windows users are quite used to putting in a CD and clicking on whatever
| comes up. Alternatively, you can download an exe or msi file from a website
| and install that. So, how do you install applications in Linux?
|
| When you install Linux on your PC or laptop, it usually has some preloaded
| applications. Ubuntu comes with OpenOffice, a PDF reader, some basic games,
| some audio and video players and other things. It is pretty complete as it
| is, but I have been using Linux for a while and have my own favourite
| applications for doing things.
`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/18939/1162/

Software installation woes on Linux