[News] Linux Certified Lists Boeing, NASA, US Army, MIT Among Customers

Linux laptop retailers fearlessly face name-brand competition

,----[ Quote ]
| The company's customer list boasts the likes of Boeing, NASA, the US Army and
| MIT. But if recent trends are any indication, Linux Certified and similar
| companies that specialize in selling computers that run Linux are about to
| see some of the world's largest computer companies warm up to the open source
| operating system. Major manufacturers have begun to take notice of Linux's
| potential on the laptop.
`----

http://www.linux.com/feature/138510

NASA, the US Army and Boeing all appear to be moving to GNU/Linux. Links below.

Recent:

The Complex Crux Of Wireless Warfare

,----[ Quote ]
| Boeing and the Army said they chose not to use Microsoft's proprietary
| software because they didn't want to be beholden to the company. Instead,
| they chose to develop a Linux-based operating system based on publicly
| available code.
`----

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/01/23/AR2008012303695.html

Fedora on the Final Frontier

,----[ Quote ]
| There has been a long standing rumor regarding NASA running Fedora which all
| of us in the Fedora community have been always intrigued by. Is it true? What
| are they doing with it there? Why don't they run RHEL. Fortunately enough, a
| couple of weeks ago, I got to experience NASA behind the scenes, first hand,
| and hang out with the coolest members of the Fedora community, and find out
| the answer to these questions and lots more.
`----

http://jaboutboul.blogspot.com/2008/02/fedora-on-final-frontier.html

Convincing the Military to Embrace Open Source

,----[ Quote ]
| "Sixty five percent of our applications run on Linux, and over 60 percent of
| our databases leverage open source solutions. We use Linux, Apache, MySQL,
| PHP, Python and Perl (a combination of software programs known as LAMP
| stacks). Over the years, since 1994, we've easily saved more than $500,000 in
| software licenses. While the cost benefits have been substantial,
| improvements in interoperability along with quick procurement cycles and
| boosts to staff morale -- programmers really like 'owning their code' -- have
| been key driving forces. This has been the true value of LAMP and our other
| open source initiatives," Welty said.

Conference Highlights Open Technology Adoption within Defense and
Intelligence Systems

,----[ Quote ]
| "When we rolled into Baghdad, we did it using open source," General
| Justice continued. "It may come as a surprise to many of you, but the
| U.S. Army is "the" single largest install base for Red Hat Linux.
| I'm their largest customer."
`----

http://www.directionsmag.com/press.releases/index.php?duty=Show&id=17056&trv=1

Open for the Future

,----[ Quote ]
| Besides the issue of cost, the increasing scope and complexity of military
| software requirements encourages the use of open source. "If the project is
| of a sufficient scale, you cannot get there without an open source approach,"
| said Dewey Houck, a senior engineer at Boeing, the lead systems integrator
| for the Army's FCS.
|
| Linux is being deployed as the operating system for the Future Combat Systems
| (FCS), Houck noted. Other open technologies are being incorporated in FCS's
| System of Systems Common Operating Environment.
`----

http://www.military-information-technology.com/article.cfm?DocID=2326

Boeing 777 - The Linux Penguin Lives

,----[ Quote ]