Re: [News] "[GNU/]Linux Will be the Oil of This Age" (CIO Magazine)

DFS <nospam@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>>Just as oil drove the industrial age, Stallings said, "We think Linux will
>>be the oil of this age."
>>
>> http://www.cio.com.au/index.php/id;1275961646
>

> It fits: Linux is messy and greasy and pollutes your system and ruins your
> life (lowers your standard of living), just like oil pollutes the world and
> kills birds who get stuck in it.

Terrible analogy.
Any technology is dangerous if misused.
Whether it's oil, windows, or linux.
Oil is the most versatile of all natural resources, producing hundreds of
different products we'd be hard pressed living without. Not just petrol and
lubricating oils, but drugs, plastics, gas, industrial solvents and god
knows what else... Seems like a good analogy to linux.

Windows... I think coal would be a good analogy. It's only good for a few
things, it's dirty, smelly and nearing the end of its life.
--
|   spike1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx   |                                                 |
|   Andrew Halliwell BSc   | "The day Microsoft makes something that doesn't |