[News] [Rival] Everyone Hates Windows (Including Microsoft Chiefs)?

Can Windows Vista read minds (or anti-Vista blog posts)?

,----[ Quote ]
| WHILE i was playing Battlefront… WHILE i was playing… my game suddenly died,
| unceremoniously. (Did i mention that i was playing Battlefront, my all-time
| favourite video game, at the time?) “What the foo?!?” i shouted, as the game
| has never, in all of my time playing it, crashed on me. Then the answer came
| directly from Microsoft - i was presented with a Vista screen
| saying, “Installing updates 2 of 3…”. It frigging KILLED my game to run
| updates! The observant reader will ask, “but how on gaia did it get the
| updates if it cannot connect to the network?” Indeed, how?
`----

http://blog.s11n.net/?p=57

And the LEAK: Even Bill Gates Rants About Microsoft's Bad Software

Full text: An epic Bill Gates e-mail rant

,----[ Quote ]
| Read on past the jump for one of the gems that turned up, showing Gates in
| the role of chief rabble-rouser. (Original document: PDF, 5 pages.) It shows
| that even the Microsoft co-founder -- who champions the "magic of
| software" -- isn't immune to the frustrations of everyday computer users.
| Keep in mind that this was more than five years ago, so it doesn't
| necessarily reflect the specific state of things now. At the bottom, see what
| Gates said when I asked him about the message last week.
`----

http://blog.seattlepi.nwsource.com/microsoft/archives/141821.asp

Allchin, Ballmer and many others mocked Vista as well. Examples below.

Related:

They Criticized Vista. And They Should Know.

,----[ Quote ]
| Act 1: In 2005, Microsoft plans to say that only PCs that are properly
| equipped to handle the heavy graphics demands of Vista are “Vista Ready.”
|
| Act 2: In early 2006, Microsoft decides to drop the graphics-related hardware
| requirement in order to avoid hurting Windows XP sales on low-end machines
| while Vista is readied. (A customer could reasonably conclude that Microsoft
| is saying, Buy Now, Upgrade Later.) A semantic adjustment is made: Instead of
| saying that a PC is “Vista Ready,” which might convey the idea that, well, it
| is ready to run Vista, a PC will be described as “Vista Capable,” which
| supposedly signals that no promises are made about which version of Vista
| will actually work.
|
| The decision to drop the original hardware requirements is accompanied by
| considerable internal protest. The minimum hardware configuration was set so
| low that “even a piece of junk will qualify,” Anantha Kancherla, a Microsoft
| program manager, said in an internal e-mail message among those recently
| unsealed, adding, “It will be a complete tragedy if we allowed it.”
|
| Act 3: In 2007, Vista is released in multiple versions, including “Home
| Basic,” which lacks Vista’s distinctive graphics. This placed Microsoft’s
| partners in an embarrassing position. Dell, which gave Microsoft a postmortem
| report that was also included among court documents, dryly
| remarked: “Customers did not understand what ‘Capable’ meant and expected
| more than could/would be delivered.”
`----

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/09/business/09digi.html?_r=2&pagewanted=2&oref=slogin

Microsoft knew of Vista shortcoming prior to release

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/microsoft-knew-vista-shortcoming-prior/story.aspx?guid=%7B75BE59C7%2DEFA1%2D48B5%2DB4A4%2D90F5E01A52A0%7D&siteid=yhoof

Debut and departure for Windows chief

,----[ Quote ]
| Sitting behind a one-way mirror, a white-haired man [Allchin] struggles to
| access a shared music library within Windows Vista.
|
| "I'm lost," he says. "I'm in trouble here."
`----

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-3513_22-6154171.html

Allchin's 'Buy a Mac' E-Mail Exposed

,----[ Quote ]
| "I must tell you everything in my soul tells me that we should do
| what I called plan (b) yesterday. We need a simple fast storage
| system. LH [Longhorn] is a pig and I don't see any solution to this
| problem. If we are to rise to the challenge of Linux and Apple, we
|                               ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| need to start taking the lessons of 'scenario, simple, fast' to
| heart. Jim"
`----

http://www.microsoft-watch.com/content/operating_systems/allchins_buy_a_mac_email_exposed.html?kc=MWRSS02129TX1K0000535
http://tinyurl.com/y5cuu6

Microsoft admits Vista screwed - report

,----[ Quote ]
| Vista SP1 is code named "Fiji", presumably after a pretty looking
| island which is paralysed by coups.
|
| In a statement regarding the service pack Microsoft admits that
| Vista has "high impact" problems.

Ballmer: Vista Is 'a Work in Progress'

,----[ Quote ]
| As PC users clamor for Microsoft to continue to support Windows XP, company
| CEO Steve Ballmer called the Vista OS "a work in progress" at an annual
| Seattle event on Thursday.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/144773/ballmer_vista_is_a_work_in_progress.html

Holy Crap: Did Bill Gates Just Say Windows Sucks?

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://gizmodo.com/342920/holy-crap-did-bill-gates-just-say-windows-sucks