Re: [News] Linus Torvalds 'Forgets' to Protest Against Binary Blobs

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, DFS
<nospam@xxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Tue, 24 Jun 2008 08:52:13 -0400
<Q468k.9971$AJ6.1698@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> Yet Linus has no problems with non-GPL software in the kernel.
>

> Why do you even pretend to care, Spamowitz?
>
> You have no problems whatsoever with Windows and proprietary software on
> your resume, on your computer, and on your desktop all day at work.

Ah yes, you are accusing Roy of being a hypocrite.  So be it.

In any event, I don't see a problem with having non-GPL
software deep in the kernel, as long as it is extractable
therefrom, there are readily available replacements, and
the license of that software does not conflict with the
desired use of the machine (e.g., if the license forbids
commercial profit from use of that module, then the machine
should not be used as a contractor's development box or a
server for a commercial website, but only for a non-profit
website, or personal amusement).

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Windows.  When it absolutely, positively, has to crash.