[News] NVidia Under Siege for Source Code

Linux Foundation points finger at Nvidia

,----[ Quote ]
| Though a statement issued Monday does not cite Nvidia by name, Linux
| Foundation Technical Advisory Board Chair James Bottomley cited Nvidia in a
| phone interview. "My intent is to point out the problems Nvidia has been
| causing themselves with their binary-only (drivers)," he said. "They are
| certainly one of the few companies sticking to a binary-only strategy."
| Binary-only means the drivers are essentially closed.
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-10784_3-9975720-7.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

Position Statement on Linux Kernel Modules

https://www.linuxfoundation.org/en/Kernel_Driver_Statement

Some say Nvidia will probably 'pull an ATI' soon. It denies it though:

NVidia says no to request to release open source drivers, once again

,----[ Quote ]
| Nvidia reiterated that it won’t provide open source drivers for Linux because
| the company claims there is no need for it.
|
| Nvidia provides binary Linux drivers and has open sourced some drivers such
| as the nv X driver and other utilities that work with the proprietary driver,
| including the installer, config and settings.The company is a leading
| provider of graphics cards and software for the desktop and embraces a cross
| platform strategy.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=2588

Yesterday:

[Bruce Perens] Linux Kernel Developers Call for Open Source Drivers - Weakly

,----[ Quote ]
| And after that, there's the fact that Linus "I hate politics so much that I
| refuse to deal with it" Torvalds hasn't signed the statement.
|
| [...]
|
| I just wish that the kernel developers could lead with less equivocation.
`----

http://technocrat.net/d/2008/6/23/44265

Recent:

Confidence In An Open NVIDIA Strategy?

,----[ Quote ]
| While NVIDIA has yet to publicize their intentions nor have we been able to
| get anyone at NVIDIA to confirm any of this information, something does
| definitely appear to be going on within their Santa Clara offices in regards
| to an improved Linux state. A seasoned industry insider had reaffirmed the
| information this week.
|
| [...]
|
| For more on the current state of open-source and binary Linux graphics
| drivers, check out these articles. If you're inclined to do more, you can
| check out OpenTheBlob.com, which has been talked about before for the open
| letter to NVIDIA and most recently has been emailing NVIDIA AIB/OEM partners
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NjM5Mw

Related:

NVIDIA Plotting Open-Source Strategy?

,----[ Quote ]
| According to an AIB partner, NVIDIA is planning an open-source counterattack
| against ATI/AMD.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NjI3NQ

Interview: The driver behind NASA's Mars Rovers

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.pcworld.idg.com.au/index.php/id;563338166;pp;1