Re: [News] 2,600 Branches of Europcar Looking to GNU/Linux Migration

Roy Schestowitz wrote:

Red Hat Drives Desktop Cost Savings for Europcar

,----[ Quote ]
| Migration Path: Windows to Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 Desktop
| | [...] | | As one of the world’s leading car rental companies, Europcar has a network of | over 2,600 branches across 118 countries, including 110 offices around | Australia. It operates a large fleet of quality vehicles and continues to | grow as new locations and regional franchises open regularly. `----

http://customers.press.redhat.com/2008/06/23/red-hat-drives-desktop-cost-savings-for-europcar/

So they are looking for a desktop to migrate to now and it's not Vista.

Looking for?  Seems like they've found it.

same article:
(((((
“Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 Desktop immediately solved our licensing issues and certainly decreased our licensing costs. It also met 100 percent of our users’ needs,” said Allen. “In fact, the Red Hat desktop solution has enabled us to adopt a new hardware policy that ensures that we maximise our hardware ROI.”
)))))

This kind of client application looks to me like an easy win for Linux. Compare Peugeot, Auto Zone, Russian Post Office, German Federal Employment Office.

Seemingly not an application of Linux to a general desktop environment, but still nice, and a contributor to a great Linux awakening.