Re: [News] Danish Businesses Look Away from Microsoft Office

____/ The Ghost In The Machine on Monday 23 June 2008 21:40 : \____

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Roy Schestowitz
> <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>  wrote
> on Mon, 23 Jun 2008 19:47:52 +0100
> <2281493.0uWq2p0QFG@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>>
>> Danish industry is looking for an alternative
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Most Danish companies are actually trying to find an alternative
>> | to MS Office at the moment.
>> `----
>>
>> http://lodahl.blogspot.com/2008/06/danish-industry-is-looking-for.html
>>

> OK, dumb question.  What's stopping FTZ?  The blog
> refers to an autotranslated page, which mentions the
> following issues:
>
> Excel -- Gnumeric or oocalc.  ("Advanced" ["avancerede"]??
> Looks like they're already using oocalc for the simple
> stuff.)
>
> Lotus Notes.
>
> I've not had many problems opening Word documents over here
> with OO 2.4, but we don't have lots of spreadsheets either.
> I'm not that familiar with Lotus Notes.
>
> A Google coughed up
>
> http://www.ftz.dk/
>
> which doesn't appear to mention Linux, but then, maybe they're not
> quite ready to announce that they've switched yet. ;-)
>
> [rest snipped]

Migrations are typically gradual. I haven't looked at the above, but either
way, the barrier in platform migration is typically applications. That barrier
is being broken with Firefox, ODF, etc.

- --
                ~~ Best of wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    The most satisfying eXPerience is UNIX
Swap:  1510068k total,   440392k used,  1069676k free,    89716k cached