[News] Microsoft Loses to ODF, Desperately Tries Embrace and Extend

Microsoft Invites to ODF Workshop in Redmond

,----[ Quote ]
| Maybe this invitation has something to do with Microsoft's public "ODF has
| clearly won" statement at a recent event. Thus, if Microsoft has to support
| ODF in their products due to market demand, what ISV can still ignore
| supporting ODF? I guess none! Anyway, OpenOffice.org is just one
| implementation of ODF and is facing more than 1.2M downloads per week (!!!)
| on average (since the beginning of 2008) with most recent download numbers
| having been close to 2M.
`----

http://blogs.sun.com/dancer/entry/microsoft_invites_to_odf_workshop

Microsoft ODF workshop

,----[ Quote ]
| Thank you for this invitation. I have to say I have some trouble
| understanding why you would like to gather the OASIS TC in Redmond. It
| seems to me a bit cumbersome, and a bit bizarre to invite everyone
| here in Redmond as if nothing had ever happened before. Perhaps, as
| some would put it, "it's a bit too early for that". Besides, I'm sure
| we can have that event anywhere else . As you may know, the OASIS ODF
| TC (together with its subcommittees and the OASIS ODF Adoption TC)
| runs several panels and conferences worldwide. The next one, if I am
| not mistaken, will take place in Beijing during the ODF Track at the
| OpenOffice.org Conference. It is scheduled to take place around
| October-November 2008.
|
| This ODF track is independent from the OpenOffice.org Conference as
| several different and competing vendors attend this conference track.
| We would really appreciate to have you and the Microsoft Office team
| there.
`----

http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/office/200806/msg00077.html

Already trying to take control over ODF...

Recent:

Microsoft: 'ODF Has Clearly Won'

,----[ Quote ]
| The battle between the OpenDocument Format and Microsoft's Open Office XML
| was long, and here and there rather nasty, but it appears as if we finally
| have a winner. The company behind OOXML already conceded by announcing it
| would implement support for ODF in Office 2007 SP2, but now it has also said
| it quite literally: ODF has won.
`----

http://www.osnews.com/story/19893

Red Hat Summit panel: Who 'won' OOXML battle?

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.infoworld.com/article/08/06/19/Red_Hat_Summit_panel_Who_won_OOXML_battle_1.html