[News] How GNU/Linux Could Become 'Default' O/S Everywhere

Crystal Ball Sunday #6: Desktop Virtualization and the Common Desktop
Environment

,----[ Quote ]
| Welcome to Crystal Ball Sunday #6. This week I'm exploring the possibility of
| Linux becoming the operating system of choice for
| virtualization--specifically Desktop Virtualization. Regardless of which
| operating system or desktop type one uses, Linux will be the underlying
| operating system that gets you there.

Phoenix and ASUS already move in this direction (links below).

Parallels - Two Divergent Paths for Macs & Windows

,----[ Quote ]
| PSfM runs Leopard Server, Windows and Linux OSs.
|
| Is PSfM really a big deal? For a Mac shop maybe. Honestly, I don't run into
| Apple Xserves, ever, so I couldn't tell you the ins-and-outs of running a
| data center with a bunch of Xserves in it. But, until now there hasn't been a
| production virtualization solution that strongly supported Leopard Server and
| also runs Windows and Linux. VMware Fusion supports Mac OS X desktop, though
| I believe their next beta may support Leopard Server.
`----

http://www.networkworld.com/community/node/29177

Recent:

Quick-boot Linux environment makes a splash

,----[ Quote ]
| Asus says it plans to ship over a million Splashtop-ready motherboards per
| month, making this one of the largest Linux deployments ever.

This is why I’ll always remain a Microsoft skeptic

,----[ Quote ]
| But the real reason for Microsoft’s capitulation became clear on March 7 via
| a new joint-status report in the Microsoft-Department of Justice case. It
| turns out BIOS maker Phoenix Technologies (a long-time Microsoft partner)
| filed a complaint with antitrust regulators about Microsoft’s virtualization
| restrictions.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=1256

Related:

New Phoenix BIOS will run Linux apps when Windows fails

,----[ Quote ]
| The basic concept is that an embedded Linux OS will accompany the core system
| firmware or BIOS, allowing instant-on applications to be run from it at any
| time.
`----

http://www.betanews.com/article/New_Phoenix_BIOS_will_run_Linux_apps_when_Windows_fails/1202928412

Phoenix HyperSpace: Quick-Boot Your Laptop

,----[ Quote ]
| Phoenix Technologies' new HyperSpace is an instant-on environment for
| laptops, letting users launch a browser or other apps with booting into the
| OS.
|
| Today, Phoenix Technologies introduced a firmware product called HyperSpace,
| which allows PCs to run a number of applications separate from the operating
| system. What that means is that if you use a PC equipped with HyperSpace, you
| will be able to quick-boot your notebook into a secure Linux environment,
| where you can use Web browsers like FireFox and pre-loaded Web-aware apps
| like Google Earth, Picasa, and the like.
|
| [...]
|
| Also, since HyperSpace is a Linux-based platform, Windows viruses won't
| affect it.

Microsoft nonchalant about Phoenix assault on Windows

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&taxonomyName=software&articleId=9045662&taxonomyId=18&intsrc=kc_top
http://tinyurl.com/3depfj