[News] Dana Blankenhorn: Yahoo Should Follow Sun's Example

Can open source save Yahoo?

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft’s embrace of Yahoo was based on the idea that its own customers’
| loyalty — and it does have loyal customers — along with its financial heft,
| might maintain the site’s market share.
|
| But that chance, too, is now gone.
|
| So what’s left. Perhaps, despite Jeremy Zawodny’s landing at Craigslist, open
| source is left.
|
| By building a cloud business on open source projects like Hadoop, YUI, Grids,
| and Squid, perhaps Yahoo can reinvent itself.
|
| Amazon did. Why can’t Yahoo?
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=2577

He also mentions Sun, which appears to be evolving rather than fighting and
terrorising (Microsoft).

Sun aims open source model at emerging markets

,----[ Quote ]
| For Sun Microsystems, open sourcing its core products like Java and Solaris
| benefits software developers in emerging markets like the Philippines. The
| payoff business-wise will come later, according to a top executive.
`----

http://technology.inquirer.net/infotech/infotech/view/20080622-144145/Sun-aims-open-source-model-at-emerging-markets

Recent:

Ballmer’s biggest flop to date

,----[ Quote ]
| No, I’m not going to say Vista. I see Vista as an organizational failure.
| Ballmer gets his share of the blame, but there’s plenty of blame to go
| around. Now, Microhoo, the failed attempt to buy out Yahoo — that heaping
| pile lands directly on Ballmer’s doorstep.
|
| [...]
|
| Good going Ballmer! He not only can't hurt Google, he actually makes them
| stronger! It's enough to make me wonder if maybe Ballmer has some kind of
| corporate death wish. Maybe Ballmer wants to be fired?
`----

http://blogs.computerworld.com/ballmers_biggest_flop_to_date

Google and Yahoo gain at Microsoft's expense

http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2219707/google-yahoo-gain-microsoft-comscore-search

Is Microsoft Aura Fading?

,----[ Quote ]
| Yesterday's early relief rally reversed, and Microsoft's value has now fallen
| by more than $30 billion since it unveiled its bid for Yahoo on February 1.
`----

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB121004447596669953.html?mod=googlenews_wsj

Microsoft stock drops amid slumping sales

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.sltrib.com/business/ci_9061263