[News] Linux-based Chumby Even in the 'Microsoft Times'

Tinkerer’s Toy

,----[ Quote ]
| The Chumby is Internet-connected, runs on Linux software and is extremely
| hackable. In other words, it is a thoroughly open-source device.
|
| But alpha geeks are a small customer base, and Chumby Industries is betting
| that those early, tinker-mad consumers will transform its product into
| something more compelling to the rest of us. Chumby falls into the emerging
| category of “ambient” devices: instead of presenting information or
| entertainment in response to the endless searching and clicking of the Web,
| these devices serve it up without your lifting a finger. (Other examples
| include the rabbit-shaped Nabaztag, which delivers information aloud, or by
| flashing colors, and the Ambient Orb, which translates information about
| traffic data and so on into a variable glow.) In short, the Chumby model
| attracts people who crave actively creating something that will be enjoyed
| passively.
`----

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/22/magazine/22wwln-consumed-t.html?_r=1&ref=magazine&oref=slogin

Recent:

NY Times readers give thumbs down to Silverlight

,----[ Quote ]
| While the Mac version provides better searching than its Windows sibling
| (with full text searching over seven days rather then one day of headlines,
| bylines and article summaries), text flow is not supported so the view is
| restricted to four pre-set window sizes, and copy and paste are not
| accessible.
`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/18473/1151/

Related:

Microsoft Delivers Major Piece of Nothing; NYT Does It Up Front Page

,----[ Quote ]
| Please. This story is more appropriate for placement in the Times’ Bits blog,
| if its to be presented anywhere in the folds of the publication. Markoff’s
| efforts in reporting the latest news in the tech industry would’ve been
| better spent on another item.
`----

http://www.profy.com/2007/09/03/microsoft-delivers-major-piece-of-nothing-nyt-does-it-up-front-page/

Windows Live Installer Thingy Coming This Week

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.techcrunch.com/2007/09/03/windows-live-installer-thingy-coming-this-week/