Re: [Rival] Microsoft Goes Hunting Down Its Valued Sellers (Who Ignore Vista)

On Fri, 20 Jun 2008 16:28:25 -0700, The Ghost In The Machine wrote:

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Rick
> <none@xxxxxxxxxx>
>  wrote
> on Fri, 20 Jun 2008 17:41:36 -0500
> <Ib2dnei70aK9r8HVnZ2dnUVZ_sLinZ2d@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

>>> Correct....
>>>
>>> The bottom line is that people would rather invest in new software, a
>>> different hardware platform and in the process spend a lot of money
>>> than switch to Linux which is free and allows them to use their
>>> current hardware.
>>
>> That is not the truth. You know it.
>
> Isn't it?

No.

> Personally, I'm not sure what to think of software nowadays;
> it's all bits and largely free to copy, if one knows what one is doing.
> But the bits aren't polished in many cases; one might have to do some
> finish work.
>
> It might depend on how bright Joe Average is, when it comes to
> computers.

The average Joe is completely dim when it comes to computers.

> It also might depend on how daft the software developers are, and how
> restrictive we allow them to be in the copying.
>

>>> The Linux pundits will try and twist it in all kinds of directions but
>>> the bottom line is that Linux does not appeal to average Joe. It just
>>> doesn't.
>>
>> No, it doesn't. You have been repeatedly told the reasons why. You
>> stick your head in the ground.
>>

> I don't see Linux appealing to the average Joe.

I don't see Mach or whatever kernel Windows uses appealing to the average
Joe, either.

> Ubuntu, Fedora, Debian,
> or Gentoo, yes, but not Linux, which is of course a means to an end, the
> ability to control one's computer resources and do something useful with
> them.  Other utilities such as ifconfig can influence Linux's behavior,
> of course.

Ubuntu Fedora, Debian, PCLinuxOS is what people mean when they refer to
Linux in relation to appealing to the average Joe.

> Individuals such as myself might want to poke around the internals, much
> like a car aficionado might pop the hood and look over the engine -- or
> maybe even take the headers off and poke around the cylinders, if one's
> very serious about it.
>
> So be careful about stating whether Linux appeals to the "average joe".
> I'm not sure any of us are all that average around here, and to most
> people who don't know the specifics, Linux is an interesting but
> generally meaningless buzzword, linked to concepts such as increased
> stability, "Unix" (itself not that meaningful a buzzword unless one has
> gone deep into a variant of that OS), and the X Window System.
>
> Say "window" in a computer context, and one usually thinks Microsoft.
> It's a pity, admittedly; we've some unlearning to do.

They have some unlearning to do. But then, these are people that can't
tell the difference between a Band-Aid and any other self adhesive
bandage.

--
Rick